Battery Question

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

thommo19

Battery Question

Post by thommo19 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:54 am

Hi Guys
New to this forum but have been following the web site for a while, a lot more user friendly now.
I have a Cub CT with a 100amphr battery. I am thinking of adding a second battery.
The query is to put them in parallel, to form one bigger capacity battery or run the system as two separate batteries and switch between the two.
My charging system is via a BCDC1225 and a 160watt solar panels. My experience with 12volt is based on the marine industry and batteries are usually separate but can be connected via a switch.
Your thoughts please as to the best way .
Thanks
Jeff

Peterr

Re: Battery Question

Post by Peterr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 am

I doubt if there is a " best way " ....

You should only parallel connect batteries that are identical in in every respect, including age; as the older/smaller/lower capacity battery will always be unable to match the output of the bigger battery..

A separate install is more complex, but would be more successful in the long term for most users..

Of course , if you require a huge power supply , a parallel install will supply that easier ....

My setup is separate batteries, one in the car charged by the car , the other in the trailer , solar charged , with a (small)gen set for backup .... I can use jumper leads between the loads as needed, the batteries are never connected in parallel !! Works well , so far!!
Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the new forum.

The second battery must be the same type ie AGM & it is best to have both around the same age. Connect the batteries in parallel, that is positive to positive & negative to negative making them one big battery.

The Redarc BCDC1225 is the right size to charge the 200 amp hour battery bank if you are adding another 100 amp hour battery. The rule of thumb for charger size is 10% to 15% the capacity of the battery. Connect the positive of the charger to a positive on one battery & the negative of the charger to the negative on the other battery.

You will find my BCDC1225 install in tech tips along with my wiring diagram http://www.campertrailers.org/bcdc1225_install.htm

Plus feedback http://www.campertrailers.org/bcdc1225_feedback.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

thommo19

Post by thommo19 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks guys
Jeff