Coming back to camper from caravan

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Us & The Dogs

Coming back to camper from caravan

Post by Us & The Dogs » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:43 pm

New member, and stating we are coming back to a hardfloor camper, from a poptop caravan. Plenty of reasons for it, but cost of running our last vehicle a Pathfinder, and pulling a heavy van, is the main reason. We did have a soft floor camper before, and loved it. We could go anywhere with it. Not so the van, it stopped us from getting into those tight in the middle of nowhere, nobody out there camp spots. Also, we would head inside, instead of sitting around the fireplace, when it got cool/cold. All our cooking was done inside as well. No more dutch oven or billy can cooking. We were not enjoying camping anymore. Even though we are at the age, that you look for creature comforts, we realised, these creature comforts, were what was stopping us from getting out and about, like we were doing 10 years ago. Not anymore, back to the basics, and the fun

robcaz

Re: Coming back to camper from caravan

Post by robcaz » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi,

Carol & I travel very similar, using back roads & trails taking a week to drive between towns that most only take a few hours to a day on the main road. We love remote bush camping & not not stay in caravan parks.

This is one of our trips http://www.campertrailers.org/newcastle ... kroads.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Snowcamper

Post by Snowcamper » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:07 am

Very late reply to, coming back to camper from caravan.
I'm with you on this issue, as my wife and I have been weighing up our options, whether we head towards a small caravan or stick with the camper. We currently have a soft floor camper and have decided to go for a hard floor camper due to the ease of the winching system which allows for my wife to set up or fold the camper on her own should she need to. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Kind regards,
Richard.
Richard & MaryJane

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:26 pm

First new comment in nearly a year. We just sold our van on Friday and bought a modified early model campomatic hardfloor camper, with brand new canvas, and when I mean new canvas, it is the original canvas, but this camper has only been used 3 times. They used it 3 times but then bought a caravan, and put it in the shed. , and it was bought for their daughter, whom died in an accident some months later. They didn't have the heart to sell it, and just stored in a dry shed it for 10 years. No damage whatsoever. They recently replaced the bearings and put new tyres on it. I got it for $3k cash. It is an absolute bargain. Considering this was of the model that I was looking for, did not expect to see canvas in this great of condition. Actually I was expecting to replace any canvas for any early hardfloor that I was looking at. The people I bought it off were the second owners, and the original owners bought it and never used it. it is almost 30 years old. Now onward and upward for bush camping again. EDIT: It is actually 41 years old, it is an 1980 model, I miss heard, but am not worried about that. This camper is as new.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:36 pm

That is a good score. Would love to see some photos.

Posting photos a little more complicated than facebook, but this is how it is done viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13

Hope that helps.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:25 pm

robcaz, I think you will not see a pic from me as I have not got the smarts to do that as described above. I also don't have a phone, as again I don't know how to use them. I barely understand this computer. Would you believe I worked for Casio computers in the early 80's as a computer technician ( a second after hours job from my life in the army). I have memory problems now, so don't expect to get a pic too soon. We, my wife and I are interested in your camping group, so if you tell us what that entails, that would be good.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:29 am

Hi,

There are several organised members weekend get togethers during the year along with a national meet. The dates & location of these can be found on the upcoming events page http://www.campertrailers.org/upcoming_events.htm

Details of these weekends are added to the upcoming events page on the website & announced in the group within the upcoming events section of the forum about four to six weeks out along with an attendance form. If you need any help with the form at any time please do not hesitate to pm me. To do this hit the 'contact' tab to the right in one of my posts & choose either PM or email.

Details of the national meet can be found at http://www.campertrailers.org/national_meet_2022.htm

The Australian CamperTrailers Facebook Group is far more active than the forum.

Hope to see you at a weekend meet or the national meet in the future.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:13 pm

Well as you may have already guessed rob, do not have facebook, the wife does, but only for contact with the family, anyhow, will just keep an eye out here.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:13 am

Hi,

Hope to catch up with you guys sooner than later.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:24 pm

We will definitely be coming to the Walcha meet, even it is near a year away. will also look at the meets early in the new year.