Replacing the external power socket on a Goldstream Storm 2005 off-road

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

i.c.hill

Replacing the external power socket on a Goldstream Storm 2005 off-road

Post by i.c.hill » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi, my outside Clipsal 240v power socket cover has just shattered. I’ve ordered a replacement socket assembly to replace the broken unit (Dad is a sparkie).

However, my question is whether we will have to dismantle the cupboards inside the Goldstream to get to the rear of the socket to detach the cables from the broken socket and reattach to the new socket? If so, do you have any suggestions for how we should attempt to get access? I've had a look inside the cupboards and it seems like a massive (destructive) job to gain access to inside of the external skin.

Or does Goldstream usually provide enough mains cable to be able to do the job from outside the camper (far easier!)?

Our model has (from left to right) the sink,two cupboards and a drawer inside behind that socket.

TIA!

Ian

robcaz

Re: Replacing the external power socket on a Goldstream Storm 2005 off-road

Post by robcaz » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Hi Ian,

I have never removed a 240 volt 15amp inlet, but I would assume by removing the four screws there would be enough cable to simply pull out & replace the inlet from the outside.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

i.c.hill

Post by i.c.hill » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks for responding, Rob.

Its the 10A outlet that's broken, and I'm hoping you're right. :-)

I try to research my maintenance tasks beforehand, hence this question. I'm desperately hoping I don't have to come through the cupboards because of the mess it will probably make...! But if I have to, I'm hoping someone has been there before me!

Cheers

Ian

Obeeone

Post by Obeeone » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:42 pm

G'day Ian

I think you can just buy the cover only for those outlets if it's just the cover that's broken.

Carl

i.c.hill

Post by i.c.hill » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks Carl,

I noticed those for sale on eBay; it's a great idea and at first I thought that would be the answer.

Sadly, it's the plastic hinge which has snapped, so I need the base plate which includes the hinge. I guess the assembly gets brittle due to UV and it's always under stress from the snap-to-close spring - then snap! :-)

Ian