Camper trailer Wheels

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

robbo3

Camper trailer Wheels

Post by robbo3 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:21 pm

I have an old Outback camper. I notice a lot of the new camper trailers have large wide wheels with massive tyres.
Is there any particular reason for having wheels this size?

robcaz

Re: Camper trailer Wheels

Post by robcaz » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:36 am

Hi Robbo,

If you are heading off into the remoter regions it is a good idea to have matching rims with bolt pattern & tyres on your trailer as your vehicle so you have two complete spares for the six wheels around your rig, however it is not always possible to do so depending on the vehicle & trailers rims & hubs.

It is not just a simple case of throwing on a larger set of wheels, the axle & bearings must be engineered to suit the situation. On the tech tips page there is an article reproduced with permisson from Cruise Master formerly Vehicle Components
http://www.campertrailers.org/axles_bearings.htm

The spindle & bearing load rating chart gives you a recommended distance from the chassis to the centre of the tyre. If this is greater than shown the allowable axle load is reduced in proportion. Placing larger rims that extend outwards for larger tyres will therefore decrease the load carrying capacity of the trailer as well as placing extra stress on the bearings & stub axle & also inceases the chance of a solid axle bending at the leaf springs.

In those circumstances I would go up in axle size from what is on the trailer, ie from 40mm square to 45mm or 50mm square & increase bearing size ie Ford rated at 1.8 tonne to a slim line bearing rated at 2 tonne. The larger bearing also gives a large spindle size.

Larger wheels will also reduce the suspension travel under the guards. Greater wheel height could also effect the drop height off the trailer for a soft floor camper trailer tent depending on how bigger.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

robbo3

Post by robbo3 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:08 pm

I've read your response, apart from having wheels that fit both camper and car. There is no real reason for having big wheels on the trailer apart from maybe looks.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi Robbo,

That is about it.

Our campers wheels & rims are different from our tow vehicle. We carry a good tyre repair kit along with a compressor for emergencys http://www.robcaz.net/tyre_repair_kit.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

vernonbain

Post by vernonbain » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:32 pm

Apart from having wheels that fit both a camper and a car, I've read your comment. Apart from aesthetics, there is no genuine purpose for the trailer to have large wheels.
11 Verrell St, Wetherill Park, NSW 2164, Australia
Website: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/sydney/doub ... em-kayaks/