trailer plug & socket maintenance

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

robcaz

trailer plug & socket maintenance

Post by robcaz » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Hi all,

A regular trailer plug & socket maintenance it is a good idea. Nothing worse hooking up on a trip to find one of the trailer lights do not work & spending time to find out why.

One of the reasons I have found why trailer lights do not work is the pins in the plug tend to close up particularly if you wiggle the plug from side to side when pushing it in or pulling it out.

You can open the pins a little with a small flathead screwdriver. Be careful not to use too much force or open the pins too wide as you can snap one half of the pin off. I have successfully replaced a pin removed from an old plug. They have a knurled fitting in the plastic so you just have to carefully align before pushing home.

I like to keep the pins & sockets dry & not spray WD40 as it attracts dust. You could use silicon spray if you had to. The pins & sockets are stainless steel so should not rust.

I do spray electronic cleaning solvent from Jaycar into the sockets every now & then. This does not melt plastic https://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic-cl ... n/p/NA1004

You will find a handy trailer plug & socket wiring diagram on the tech tips page http://www.campertrailers.org/trailer_w ... iagram.htm

We use a 12 pin plug, the 7 pin section is used as it should for trailer lights & electric brakes etc, while the larger 5 pin section is a matter of convenience. A reverse camera & power to run it is wired through these pins so one trailer connection is used, along with an Anderson connector for the DC to DC charger in the camper trailer.

The pins of a 7 pin trailer plug with fit into the 7 pin socket section of a 12 pin socket on the vehicle. Handy if you get a loan of your mates box trailer.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Us & The Dogs

Re: trailer plug & socket maintenance

Post by Us & The Dogs » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:34 am

With all the rain, happening everywhere except WA; but moreso in our area, I think obviously corrosion or dirt could have set in, so will do mine tomorrow.