Advice on GPS

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

thommo19

Advice on GPS

Post by thommo19 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:25 pm

I am looking to replace my old GPS unit.
I thought I would upgrade to a unit with 4wd maps.
Not sure which one to buy, the favoured unit is the Hema 7 . A good unit but is around $700,a bit more that I wanted to spend.
Polaris has a unit for abt $400.
What unit do you guys use? Are 4wd maps worth the extra expense.
Thanks
Jeff

TinkCT

Re: Advice on GPS

Post by TinkCT » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 pm

I use an ipad mini with Hema maps. Absolutely love it. Have a Ram mount on the dash. One big advantage of the ipad is you can also use it for photos, emails, web surfing etc. The Hema 4x4 app is only $129 with all the maps. Buy some itunes cards from Coles @ 20% off and save.

Tink

OldBikerPete

Post by OldBikerPete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:02 am

Look for a general-purpose Android tablet computer with an in-built GPS unit. They are available from about $250 for a 10" unit but smaller units are available. You can then load Apps of all sorts including Locus Pro, OziExplorer, Copilot to name just a few of the mapping variety, plus apps like Winamp which, in combination with bluetooth or a transmitter plugin for the the earpiece socket can play hours of your music through your car's radio.
It's a much more versatile way to go than getting a dedicated GPS unit.
I have had such a unit for over 12 months and am extremely pleased with its performance.

Peter.

thommo19

Post by thommo19 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks for the info.
The tablet idea is good. Would I need to have a SIM card to access the internet and GPS .

Jeff

terrya

Post by terrya » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:11 pm

I have an in dash VMS unit which is great, but for backup and when I am out of the car, I have an 8" Samsung tablet ($288 but the 7" is a cheaper) running Oziexplorer for Android which is a free down load and $25 for a license. Works an absolute treat. The advantage for me was I already own a stack of Ozi maps (maps are $199 I think). For about $450 you get a pretty good system. When I want to access the internet I tether the tablet to my iPhone 4s via the iPhone's wireless hot spot using bluetooth and use the iPhone's 3g connection. Best of both worlds and reasonably inexpensive. Terry

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Jeff,

The two seven inch screen navigators that are most commonly used & combine both street & topo maps in the one portable unit are made by Hema & VMS. Both use iGO Primo street navigation.

It really comes down to your personal preference between the off road maps & mapping software used. VMS uses Gregory's touring, iTOPO 4X4 raster & state Westprint Heritage series maps while Hema uses the Hema Australia 4WD raster collection, 4WD and regional, 1:1million Australian touring & topo 250K maps.

We went for the Hema HN5i a couple of years ago as we have a Hema map book & the Camps Australia Wide books also use Hema maps so we could easily relate between them. We mostly use the Hema to show where we are on a 4wd track in relation to the map, while we still use the map book for the overall picture. There is not a lot of room in the cab of the Jeep Wranger & also with a very narrow windscreen having anything there blocks plenty, I have managed to place the suction mount on the roof above the rearview mirror & out of the way.

The trend these days is to download the Hema maps App to iPads. There are two different versions, the Hema Explorer & 4WD Maps

Your iPad also needs an inbuilt GPS function for the App to work. Kevin Beckwith will be giving a talk on the Hema App at the upcoming national meet.

Probably the only down side of using an Ipad in a smaller cabin area is the available space without blocking the view of the dash controls & also allowing room for the airbag deployment. There are a number of cradles & different mounting solutions. I think these flex rods bolted to the seatbase are a good idea.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

OldBikerPete

Post by OldBikerPete » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:07 pm

thommo19 wrote:Thanks for the info.
The tablet idea is good. Would I need to have a SIM card to access the internet and GPS .

Jeff
You don't need a SIM to use the GPS or GPS apps.
Most tablets have WiFi which would allow you to access the internet at home (if you have a WiFi router at home) or in a lot of public places (Macca's) and caravan parks these days.
There's an app which allows you to download files from your internet browser on a desk or laptop computer via WiFi.

My tablet also accepts a 3G SIM for voice and data access.

Bluetooth is also useful if you have a bluetooth earpiece for 'phone use or bluetooth capability in your car radio.

You can also surf the net on it via WiFi or that 3G SIM -- you can do lots of things with it, it's a general-purpose computer.

Here's where I got mine from:
http://efocuszone.com/

Peter

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi Jeff,

Have a look at Kev's reply in this thread for more info http://www.campertrailers.org/group/vie ... p?f=1&t=93
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

thommo19

Post by thommo19 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks for all the advice .
I will have a look at the ipad app at Newnes
thanks again
Jeff

Markwr400426

Post by Markwr400426 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:24 pm

For the trailbike, I run a Garmin Dakota on the bars, and I've put Shonky Maps topo map as the map. A small example is here: [img][IMG]http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... artial.jpg[/img][/img] I've only put up a small sample, but hopefully you'll get the idea. If I'm going somewhere new, I'll just load the maps for that area into the Dakota. Shonkymaps is a 340Mb download, it's free and here: http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/. It's great to be able to use a topo map to look at where you've been, or plan where you want to go, without parting with a fortune for the maps. From a 4WD perspective, you could throw Shonky Maps into a laptop, or maybe an iPad. Either that, or go for a larger Garmin GPS, and put ShonkyMaps into that using either of the Garmin mapping programs, like Garmin MapSource or Garmin Base Camp. Once you've got a track logged in the GPS, it's not too hard to bring it into Google Earth to give you a better understanding again of where you've been. I've spent a fair bit of time in the South East Queensland State forestries, North Stradbroke Island, Fraser Island & Double Island Point, and using the GPS has helped build a pretty good understanding of where I've been. The GPS has also been pretty helpful in finding a way through somewhere to link some tracks together.
Mark
Lifestyle 360 softfloor
Nissan Patrol 4.8 LPG