2.2kw diesel heater

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Us & The Dogs

2.2kw diesel heater

Post by Us & The Dogs » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:11 pm

Would a 2.2kw diesel heater heat a campertrailer well enough in minus 4 to -6 C winter weather?. When on a powered site we use a 750watt ceramic fan heater to keep the camper warm all night, but that is because the fan heater is pointing towards the bed area, but the diesel heater would be located at the bed end pointing towards the hardfloor area. Not sure if the heat from the diesel heater would eventually push back into the bed area. When freecamping I currently use a portable gas heater, that is 8000btu, but you have to leave a door or window open ( so you don't die), and it doesn't heat the bed area, only an area no more then 5 feet in front of you. We have an 1980 model Campomatic hardfloor camper, with 26oz Duck canvass, and the canvass is in immaculate condition, so it does help to keep heat in and out depending on seasons.( Leaving the door or window open when using the gas heater allows extremely cold air in so the gas heater is really not that effective)

robcaz

Re: 2.2kw diesel heater

Post by robcaz » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:31 pm

Hi Ric,

As an option there are a number of portable diesel heaters around that can be set up outside with the heater hose through the corner of a doorway etc, so you can direct the heat to a selected area. I think that size heater would be more than ample.

Our bed is very warm even in subzero temperatures. We have a synthetic wool overlay over the mattress & use microfibre bed sheets. They are warm even when you first jump in. We also have microfibre pajamas.

There is a good article on the tech tips page dressing for the cold too https://www.campertrailers.org/outdoor_dressing.htm

A photo of me warming my hands in the fridge on a -3 morning. :lol: :roll: :shock:

happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:32 am

rob, I haven't got the space to carry any more extra gear in my Vitara or storage box, so will likely be fitting the heater in the camper. I will be removing the innerspring mattress, which is 10 inches thick, and fitting a platform, fitting the heater under it, then putting in a 4-5 inch mattress on top, maybe another innerspring if I can get it, otherwise a foamy.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:03 pm

Hi Ric,

Make sure you have adequate clearance around it. Please let us know how you go.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year