Kimberley trip 2015

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

thommo19

Kimberley trip 2015

Post by thommo19 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:10 am

Hi guys
My wife and I are doing a bit of a plan and budget to go to the Kimberleys next year.
Our Cub is pretty much set up and we are self sufficient.
Out tug is a stock standard Narava with a bulbar and UHF only. We have a compressor and recovery gear.
I realise that we may have to upgrade the Narava a bit,just want some ideas ,do not want to go over the top.
I was thinking upgrade the tyres and under car protection. What else do you think would be an advantage.
We are not intending to do a heap of 4WDring,just what is required to see the area.
Thanks
Jeff

terrya

Re: Kimberley trip 2015

Post by terrya » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:49 pm

G'day Jeff,
Sandy and I have traveled to the Kimberley on 3 occasions. Good tyres are definitely required. All terrain light truck tyres are a good compromise. I have always used BF Goodrich but any reputable brand should be fine. Be really conscious of your tyre pressures. I recommend 28psi as a maximum for the dirt road sections (I'm sure I will get some disagreement about that but it has always worked for me). I don't believe under body protection will be required. Other than tyres, carry spare belts and hoses for the car. I'm not sure what parts of the Kimberley you intend to see. The Gibb River Road will not pose too many problems. If you intend to go to Mitchell falls and Kulumburu it will get a bit harder. The Penetecost River crossing is generally easy but it can vary. The King Edward River into Mitchell falls can be quite deep. Enjoy the trip. We may even see you up there as we are currently planning another trip for 2015 ourselves, that's how much we love the Kimberley.

thommo19

Post by thommo19 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks terrya
Good points there. Thanks looks like I will save some money on under body.
Did you take a camper with you and was it a full offroad? Our Cub is a semi offroad model can't see why this is not ok.
One more question is a snorkel worth while both for dust and water.
Thanks
Jeff

terrya

Post by terrya » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:49 pm

G'day Jeff, We tented it once and twice in our full off road trailer. Your Cub should be OK for the GRR. A snorkel won't be necessary for GRR as water is not that deep and if you are travelling alone you shouldn't see that much dust as you will be in front of it. Cheers Terry

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi Jeff,

In the campertrailers.org tech tips you will find a useful article entitled carrying spares for the camper http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_spares.htm as well as links to further related articles.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

thommo19

Post by thommo19 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks guys ,most grateful for your time.
Jeff

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Jeff

We did the Kimberly region and the GRR last year, and you’ll love it.

We have a Prado and an off road Camper trailer, and thankfully had no dramas, and the conditions weren’t that bad.

We had to get a routine service in Kununurra and I was horrified at the dust in the air filter, despite having a snorkel. We now have a foam oil soaked filter that fits over the top of the snorkel as a first step dust catcher, and would typically clean it every other day – obviously depending on conditions. And no matter what – it gets filthy with clogged dust (doing its job)

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d2.html

Terry’s right you shouldn’t need a snorkel but just remember not to to go swimming when you do need it – a very costly rescue and rebuild.

Rescue / recovery gear is all about ‘in case we need it’ and we chose to invest in a safari snorkel . . .just in case.

Enjoy the trip.

Pete