Seeking Info about setting up a 12v to 240v power system

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

john v

Seeking Info about setting up a 12v to 240v power system

Post by john v » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 am

Hi
Hoping someone can help, I have just obtained an EazyTrail Tambo SE Camper Trailer and I want to install a 12v to 240v power system in the trailer. I think I have most of the parts, they are a 2500w/5000w inverter, a deep cycle battery & battery box with a 12v outlet for the led lighting and other 12v appliances, a 120w Solar panel and a 4Kva Generator for charging. I will be wiring in a 50amp Anderson Plug for the solar panel and Generator and to charge the battery while driving from the car battery. What I need to know is do I need to install an isolating switch and a circuit breaker(what size?) for the 240v from the inverter to a double 240v outlet and if there is anything else that I might need to complete the setup.

Thanking you in Advance
John

Peterr

Re: Seeking Info about setting up a 12v to 240v power syste

Post by Peterr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:59 pm

it's actually illegal for you to wire a double power point to an inverter, unless you're an electrician , which you obviously aren't!!

However, you'd need a double pole double power point; a 20A (240v rated) residual current circuit breaker( safety switch); 3 core stranded cable, I'd suggest 4mm; probably conduit and various mounting devices as well....and some way to connect said cable to the inverter, using a 3 pin plug is NOT approved......

And make sure your insurances are all paid up .................

Much easier and safer , to buy a power board with a safety switch fitted....

http://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-4-outl ... h_p7052850
Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

john v

Post by john v » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Ty for the advice, the power board sounds the way to go. It means that I only have to mount the inverter to the inside of the trailer and secure the battery box.
Many thanks again

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi John,

Yes all 240volt work must be done by a licenced electrician.

What are you running from the large inverter??? You will quickly empty a battery using that to capacity.

How are you going to charge the battery from the generator???
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

john v

Post by john v » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:28 pm

The generator has the ability to charge the battery

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi John,

Are you going to charge the battery off the generators 12volt output or does an have an inbuilt multi stage battery charger in it???
happy camping
Rob & Carol

john v

Post by john v » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:34 pm

I'm aware that any 240v work has to be done by a licensed electrician and I was going to use that option, I was only after the info so that I knew what was needed so I wouldn't be ripped off and I have seen option packs from trailer manufacturers that match what I was asking about, as for the generator the documentation states that it can charge batteries and won't overcharge it and it won't be the only option to charge the batteries as I have the 120w solar panel. As for the size of the inverter I work on the principle that its better to have more than you need than to find out you don't have enough

Markwr400426

Post by Markwr400426 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:00 pm

John
Rob's on the money. You'll find it'll be easier to do pretty much everything you can in 12 volts if you can, as the inverters suck power like there's no tomorrow. They're not very efficient. The only thing I use an inverter for these days is a 150watt one I keep in the car to charge the boss's iPad, but while we're travelling around. The iPads don't seem to charge on 12 volts.
I use a 240watt panel to run a 110 litre Waeco fridge, all LED lighting, a 12 volt radio, and a 12 volt TV/DVD player. We beach camp, and sometimes I have to run 25 metres of real 6mm cable to get the panels to the sun, but even then the 240 watt panel runs everything. Even with a bit of rainy weather, I can be a way for a fortnight at time, and hardly ever start the generator. The other thing I learnt was that you can't really run something like the Waeco with a single battery. I run a dual battery system in the camper trailer now. When I need to run the generator (rare), I use a 15amp CTEK charger to charge the batteries. What I'm seeing in a lot of the electrical systems supplied by the trailer & caravan manufacturers now will mean that you'll run your generator more often than not.
Hope that helps.
Mark
Lifestyle 360 softfloor
Nissan Patrol 4.8 LPG

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:32 pm

You will find some great info on charging a deep cycle battery using a generator via its 240volt outlet & a multistage charger on Val's website http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/gen_charge.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol

john v

Post by john v » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Thank you all for your replies, they have help enormously