Remote travel insurance

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

PeterB

Remote travel insurance

Post by PeterB » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:10 am

Hi

When I was adding my cent’s worth to Thommo’s question about a Kimberly trip, it made me think about insurance. (expensive recovery and rebuild)

Like all the rest of the ‘just-in-case’ stuff - extra food & water - recovery – winch – comms units – snorkels, there’s insurance.

We are with the NRMA, and have opted for their Premium care, plus their Premium plus, at a cost of $187 + $122 - $310 the cost of some tyres – that’s a single tyre.

I understand that this cover will get us and the camper trailer home / rescued from anywhere ! and even covers us from a Tsunami !! I hope I am able to fill in the form, if this does occur on our travels.

What has anyone else opted for ? I reckon we are getting pretty good value, but maybe . . .

Pete

robcaz

Re: Remote travel insurance

Post by robcaz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Pete,

We also decided on the NRMA premium insurance when we bought the Jeep as I would have no hope in working out how to get it going again with all its electronics. If the Jeep has to be flatbedded, the premium insurance allows the camper trailer to be towed.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Fidon

Post by Fidon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:42 pm

just a tip I picked up from an NRMA roadside guy recently, (after he'd diagnosed my breakdown and was organising a tow truck for it) check "serviceable road" in the fine print, some of the places in my local area that I ran past him, that we travel on whilst camping, aren't actually covered in the usual cover, and are surcharged per km, could be a very expensive exercise afterall.
planning.... to relax

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:31 am

PeterB wrote: and even covers us from a Tsunami !! I hope I am able to fill in the form, if this does occur on our travels.
The tsunami works in their favour as they don't have the expense of recovering the wreck :)

Watch the fine print. Not quite what you are talking but still relevant, Mate has NRMA extended roadside assistance for any gazetted road in Oz. He drove over something on a non gazetted road and holed his radiator. We eventually towed the car to the nearest road and called NRMA to tow it away for repairs.
They declined as a holed radiator is an accident and not a mechanical failure therefore its down to your car insurance.

The camper insurance still covers retrieval but I'm just throwing this out there for thought. You need to ask the insurance company to confirm if particular scenarios are covered.

Burto51

Post by Burto51 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 am

I was wondering this year when in Birdsville, what the situation was regarding recovery from the desert, so asked Peter from the Birdsville Roadhouse. His response was that if you breakdown out there is no coverage from the NRMA or RACQ, he said he rarely takes out the MAN as he tries to use a ute where possible or gives people advice so they can self recover.
Like you I have NRMA Premium cover but it's coverage is limited,

Regards
Greg

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:28 am

Considering that the going rate for a Simpson recovery from either Birdsville or Mt Dare is north of $10K, think what your premiums would be be if they did cover it...

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 am

WomblingFree wrote:Considering that the going rate for a Simpson recovery from either Birdsville or Mt Dare is north of $10K, think what your premiums would be be if they did cover it...
That doesn't sound right. Spoke personally to Dave at Mt Dare just a couple of weeks ago. He reckons the most expensive he has done was around the three grand mark. Still not cheap but no where near what you are saying.

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 am

TinkCT wrote:
WomblingFree wrote:Considering that the going rate for a Simpson recovery from either Birdsville or Mt Dare is north of $10K, think what your premiums would be be if they did cover it...
That doesn't sound right. Spoke personally to Dave at Mt Dare just a couple of weeks ago. He reckons the most expensive he has done was around the three grand mark. Still not cheap but no where near what you are saying.
Really. Thats much better. I'm going from reports from others and not personal experience although I've heard 10K from several sources.
$3-4K is quite acceptable. Figure in the fuel cost and several days driving time each way and I think thats cheap.

Maybe its a Birdsville thing but this report also mentions $10K
http://www.raa.com.au/travel/blog/136

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Nah, Dave did a recovery whilst we were there. Out and back in a day. Busted Cruiser was almost closer to Birdsville than Mt Dare. He is a bit more experienced than your average desert traveller and would have been even quicker without all the traffic :D

phil_oz_au

Post by phil_oz_au » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:33 pm

NRMA also has windscreen insurance. "Normal" premium doesn't cover it as it is an optional extra.
I learnt the hard way. :shock: :oops: :shock:
Now I have it. :D
Relax ...
... it's the Journey, not the destination. :lol: