Rims for cub and zipper fix

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Gavin Dal Broi

Rims for cub and zipper fix

Post by Gavin Dal Broi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi all,
I'm in the process of modifying my "01" cub camper trailer and want to know your thoughts on rim size. I have heard around that it is a good idea to match the trailer size with the tow vehicle. I have a 200series cruiser on 18inch rims. Are they too big for a camper trailer. As I'm modifying the framing and suspension to be full off road I can suit it to any size I select but is 18's over kill and do I really need to match. 18's are still hard to find in subtle looking rims and the tyres aren't cheap.
Also my zipper on the cub main door is being painful and separating constantly. I think most of the problem is where it comes around the corner and it has tension in the tarp, an bright ideas.
I will be asking a lot of questions as we are new to camper trailers and with a mod going to happen straight after our short trip up the north coast I will be sure to be asking all you seasoned travellers for your tips. Thanks again for the forum and the great site.
out before sunrise home after sunset, wouldn't change it for anything

thommo19

Re: Rims for cub and zipper fix

Post by thommo19 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Gavin
I am a Cub owner as well. The zipper problem is a common with the rounded door . The recent Cubs have straight zippers. I would speak to Cub and see what they suggest.
As regards the wheel size my only comment would be will the awning and any additional walls you may have still reach the ground.
Good luck with the mods .
Jeff

Gavin Dal Broi

Post by Gavin Dal Broi » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks for the reply.
We don't have any walls for the annex yet and I understand that it will throw out the frame on the fold out floor so I will need to make a extended frame so the legs touch.

I will give cub a ring tomorrow. I do wish it had the straight zipper with a door size not the whole wall. Has anyone had their canvas off and repaired or modified, am I going into the way too hard basket?

droverlad

Post by droverlad » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi Gavin
I have both a Cub and a 200 series Landcruiser and have addressed both your problems. Firstly the zip opening up around the curve was over come just by renewing the slider. To look at the old and new sliders you can hardly notice any difference but they wear out just enough not to work. Any canvas repair shop can supply the slider. They have a front and back, make sure it fits the right way around. I have a Cub Drover and changed the wheels to match my Cruiser. Different to you my car is a GX and has 17inch steel wheels ($150 each from Toyota) I had to replace the axle with a longer one to suit the different offset in the new wheels. The height was OK but I had to take about 30mm out of the front of the guards. I removed the wheel flare and hacked out the metal of the side of the camper then replaced the flare . I still have about 100mm from the top of the tyre to the under side of the guard so you should be OK with the 18 inch wheels if you have bigger tyres it maybe close. The offset on the alloy wheels may not be as much as the steel wheels 200mm.and you may not have to cut the guards. I also had to change the 6 stud rims to 5 stud. The mud flaps are now a bit narrow but that's a job for another day.
Hope this helps.
Peter.
God put me on earth to achieve a certain number of tasks in my lifetime. At the present I am so far behind that I may never die.

Gavin Dal Broi

Post by Gavin Dal Broi » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks Peter.
i will get onto the slider and thanks for the info regarding the tyres. Has it been useful to have the same rim/tyre size over the lot. Do you still carry a spare for the trailer and if so is underneath the trailer or on the front.

droverlad

Post by droverlad » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Gavin
I used to carry two spare wheels for both my car and trailer. My last car had 15 inch and the trailer 16 inch. After buying the Landcruiser I decided to bite the bullet and make the conversion. I now have 10 steel rims 6 with Grandtreks tyres and 4 with Bridgestone 697. If I am just going up or down the coast or around home I leave the Dunlops on and if I am going off road I swop to the 697. I carry one spare under the trailer and one under the car but if I am going off road I will most likely take the lot. I have seen too many people stranded in the bush waiting for tyres to be delivered. It's more weight but that's why I bought a Landcruiser. Saying all that I will most likely never get a flat again. Good luck.
Peter
God put me on earth to achieve a certain number of tasks in my lifetime. At the present I am so far behind that I may never die.

calow37

Post by calow37 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:10 pm

G'day Gavin,
You will probably be able to fix your zipper slide by squeezing it with a pair of pliers to close it up only slightly, as this is what my canvas man did on mine when I told him the zip kept coming undone where it runs around the curve.
It worked, so I didn't need to have it replaced which costs.
Cheers
Colin

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:52 pm

I just happen to have a zipper fix diagram in my 'diagrams that might come in handy one day' folder

Also to make zips slide a little easier try Selleys Ezy Glide
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Gavin Dal Broi

Post by Gavin Dal Broi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 pm

robcaz wrote:I just happen to have a zipper fix diagram in my 'diagrams that might come in handy one day' folder

Also to make zips slide a little easier try Selleys Ezy Glide
Thanks. That has helped a lot. Also resetting the tent has made a difference.

droverlad

Post by droverlad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Rob, It only cost me $4 to buy a new slider and I haven't had a problem since. Yes I did try and fix it with the pliers first but to no avail. You can see by your diagram that one side is wider then the other and it is important to get it the right way around.
Peter