GPS security for your camper trailer

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

robcaz

GPS security for your camper trailer

Post by robcaz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi all,

Recently added to tech tips under the security heading are two reviews of GPS trackers which can be placed in your camper trailer to give you its whereabouts via your mobile phone.

Michael Wookey tells you about the STOP HUG http://www.campertrailers.org/spot_hug.htm

while I test the Caravan & Car Alarms Vehicle Tracker http://www.campertrailers.org/cca_vehicle_tracker.htm

Please check the discount offer for members from Shane Hudson of CCA Vehicle Tracker in the discount folder.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Elsewhere

Re: GPS security for your camper trailer

Post by Elsewhere » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:59 pm

One of these is on the shopping list for the camper (and maybe the tug as well).

justins

Post by justins » Wed May 28, 2014 6:42 am

I am very interested in the Spot Hug concept. I already have a Spot Personal Tracker, which we have used in Outback Australia to update our loved ones at home that we were ok. So far, we have not needed the Help or SOS functions!

With the Hug, I have a question. On a softfloor camper trailer, where would you install the satellite transceiver? It needs to have a clear view of the sky. And the whole concept fails if the thief finds the transceiver and disconnects it from the camper trailer! These two requirements contradict each other; for the latter requirement, better to hide the transceiver away. But the former requirement suggests it needs to be mounted in the toolbox lid - if the satellite signals can pass through aluminium. I suppose alternatively a plastic jiffy box could be mounted on the A frame somewhere...

Any suggestions out there?

Justin
Justin and family - in Italy
Moving back to Aus in the new Year

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Wed May 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Justin,

When I tested the Caravan & Car Alarms Vehicle Tracker the gps signal had no trouble going through our all steel garage at home. I guess the Spot HUG would also do the same if you placed it in the front storage box of the soft floor camper.

Again same as the Vehicle Tracker, if the external 12-24volt power supply is cut you recieve an alert with GPS coords while the backup lithium AA batteries are used to continue power the Spot HUG.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

justins

Post by justins » Thu May 29, 2014 6:28 am

I also note that Spot have released a newer, much cheaper and simpler tracking unit called the Spot Trace. Direct your preferred browser to: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

This has no parts other than the transceiver itself, and appears to rely on being switched on and off to enable and disable the movement alerts. I have no affiliation with Spot - just interested in these products!

Justin
Justin and family - in Italy
Moving back to Aus in the new Year

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu May 29, 2014 8:39 am

I was at Jaycar recently & spotted their GPS/GSM Tracking Device similar to the Vehicle Tracker for $150 http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA9011
happy camping
Rob & Carol