Solar Panels

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

spoton5

Solar Panels

Post by spoton5 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Quick question for all members
What brand of Solar panels are you using ?
Would you recommend & who did you purchase from ?
What size in watts are panels ?
If you had to buy again would you buy same or go to a larger size etc.
What do you run daily ? Eg. Lights, fridge, Cpap machine,
Any more info .

Thanks in advance

Peter
Peter & Carole
Cub Spacematic with Sub Forester

robcaz

Re: Solar Panels

Post by robcaz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Pete,

We have two 65 watt Kyocera solar panels charging two 120 amp hour Rita AGM batteries via a Redarc BCDC1225 charger http://www.campertrailers.org/bcdc1225_install.htm

There is a draw of between 20 & 40 amp hours a day depending on the season from a Cpap, a 40 litre Engel fridge run as a fridge, LED lighting & recharging phones, camera battery, handheld UHF's & computer etc all via 12volt chargers. http://www.campertrailers.org/fridge_draw.htm

This combination allows the batteries to go into float by around lunchtime most days. Our camper is usually set up for two to six days at a time. I do not feel it is critical that the batteries are fully recharged each day, as long as we leave camp & have kept them above 50% capacity. The Redarc BCDC1225 makes short work of fully recharging the batteries while driving when travelling for a few weeks between campsites. http://www.campertrailers.org/bcdc1225_feedback.htm

Since installing the Enerdrive Elite battery monitor I can see how the Redarc charges the battery more clearly. Just because the Redarc light shows it is in float, does not necessarily mean the batteries are full, but receiving a float charge & may be only 90% full. http://www.campertrailers.org/enerdrive_elite.htm

In winter with only a few hours of Peak Solar Sun Hours available, I was looking at perhaps adding another 65 watt panel using the Plasmatronics PL1210 PWM solar regulator, however the MPPT regulator on the Redarc makes up for the shortfall.

The best way to work a 12volt system out that suits you is via Richard's Solar Spreadsheet http://www.campertrailers.org/solar_spreadsheet.htm

Also check the discount to members folder for businesses that offer members a discount on solar panels of different price ranges including Jamie's Touring Solution, Korr Lighting & Mandrake's Solar Power.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Elsewhere

Post by Elsewhere » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi Pete,

I have purchased Bosch solar panels, 180W in total (2 folding). They have not been used yet, as I only finished rewiring the trailer today. Lostock Dam should be our first live test.

Cheers,
Greg

leeke0

Post by leeke0 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 am

Hi Pete,
I have the Korr 165W folding panels. They use a Bosch solar chip.
I am charging a 120AmpH battery. I run an Everkool 60L fridge, numerous LED lights and charging things like phones etc.
I run through a Ctek D250S dual charger. There is a controller in the panel setup that could be used if required. The leads from the panels have an anderson plug and there is a short lead from the panel controller. These plug together if using the controller on the panels. I made up a short lead from the Ctek so I can plug the panels straight into that.
I have just been playing around at home so far checking what I can do re fridge draw and how long I get from the battery etc. I am going to try fridge/freezer combination so see what that does.
Everything seems to be going well and I guess the big test will be at Glenn Innes in a few weeks time.
All those solar panels that will be there may take too much of the suns rays and not leave enough for me :-)

I'm happy enough and would buy again.
Thanks
Malcolm

frogmouth

Post by frogmouth » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:43 pm

array of Kickass panels - 120W - charging 3 105aH Giant batteries, to power a 35 litre Evakool as a freezer and a couple of lights. Would welcome feedback on this system/setup

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi Frogmouth,

If you cryovac your food rather than freezing it, you will be able to run your fridge as a fridge & save a lot of battery power.

How long do you usually camp in the one place at a time???

Do you know how many amp hours your fridge use running as a freezer over 24 hours???

You will find Richard's Solar Spreadsheet is a good guide to working out a 12volt system http://www.campertrailers.org/solar_spreadsheet.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Markwr400426

Post by Markwr400426 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Peter
I run 240 watt of panels (3 x 80 watt hinged panels). The panels are Chinese off fleabay. I run a twin battery set up in the trailer, using my boat batteries, as I'm never away in the trailer and the boat at the same time. We run a 110 litre Waeco, a 24 inch TV, a radio/iPhone dock and a fair few LED light strips. We can be away for a fortnight or more, and not start the generator. I run up to 25 metres (a 10 metre and a 15 metre) decent 6mm cable between the trailer and panels. Trailer best in shade, Panels best in sun. I move the panels a couple of times a day. If I were to do it again, I'd run a single 250 watt panel, with a decent controller/regulator. Not quite reaching the confidence to take the generator off the draw bar yet, but I'm getting close.
Mark
Lifestyle 360 softfloor
Nissan Patrol 4.8 LPG

sailorscott

Post by sailorscott » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:05 pm

a question Pete,when you say decent 6mm cable what are you referring to as i am about to extend the cables on my panels to chase more sun,cheers Scott

Peterr

Post by Peterr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Rather than buy the so-called " solar " cable ( or " auto " cable) , talk to your friendly electrician and get 6 or 10mm twin cable from him , 6mm 240V cable actually is 6sq mm cross section area, 10mm is even better , and that's what I use ...

Not very flexible, but not a problem ...
Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

phil_oz_au

Post by phil_oz_au » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:30 am

As mentioned above by Rob & Carol and Malcolm, most solar panels are supplied with their own regulator, usually attached to the back of one of the panels. Many DC-DC chargers, like the Redarc and CETEK mentioned above, I have the CTEK Duel, need an UNregulated supply. So I had to adapt my solar panels to supply either unregulated (for the CTEK) or regulated, if I wanted to plug the panels into the CT's Anderson plug.
Relax ...
... it's the Journey, not the destination. :lol: