Solar Panels

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

robcaz

Re: Solar Panels

Post by robcaz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Phil,

I picked up the wires on the back of the panel before they went through the Plasmatronics PL1210 regulator & brought them out to a red 50amp Anderson connector via a fuse. http://www.campertrailers.org/redarcbcdcinstall16.JPG

I used a red Anderson to signify the output from the solar panel is unregulated. http://www.campertrailers.org/redarcbcdcinstall17.JPG

Different colour Andersons cannot be connected to each other. I did a little doctoring of the plastic between the positive & negative on the red Anderson so the grey Anderson will connect.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:02 am

Hi Pete,

Collyn Rivers recommends not to use single or seven strand copper wire used in houses for anything that moves. It hardens very quickly & is likely to fracture as a result of movement caused by travelling.

6mm twin core sheathed cable can be bought from the internet cheaply ie autoelecau ebay shop $33 for 10 metres.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Elsewhere

Post by Elsewhere » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:48 am

Hi,

Just be careful when buying 6mm auto cable. I bought some from Supercheap (SCA brand) and the insulation was very thick, so there wasn't much copper (insulation is cheaper than copper). I now only use Narva brand as it seems to have the largest copper cross-section.
All auto cables are not created equal.
Cheers,

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:50 am

Auto cable sizing is the overall diameter, ie the hole it will fit though including the insulation. Some manufacturers have more insulation than others. Collyn Rivers would like to see the copper conductors cross sectional width in square mm used as an industry standard on all cable used in 12volt.

AWG (American Wire Gauge) & B&S (Brown & Sharp) have almost identical sizing & relate to the copper conductors size. You will find Collyn's handy cable size conversion chart on the tech tips page http://www.campertrailers.org/collyns_p ... Conversion

A photo I took showing the difference between 6mm (4 sq mm) & 6B&S (16 sq mm) http://www.campertrailers.org/redarcbcdcinstall8.JPG
happy camping
Rob & Carol

leeke0

Post by leeke0 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi,
Question for those who are a bit more knowledgeable than me in these things.
With the folding solar panels (ie 2 panels hinged), the cables connecting the panels to the "onboard" regulator can be connected via an anderson plug or disconnected so an unregulated supply goes to your own MPPT controller (like the redarc and Ctek).
Is there any issue re "scratching" or "rubbing" the back of the panel(s) with loose anderson plugs?
I know the anderson plugs are plastic but was wondering re movement while travelling.
My next sentence may answer the question,
"I suppose they wouldn't do it if there was a chance of rubbing or scratching"

Thanks
Malcolm

Elsewhere

Post by Elsewhere » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Malcolm,

With my folding panels, I inserted Anderson connectors so I can bypass the onboard regulator when using my Redarc regulator, or use the onboard regulator for charging batteries direct.
I use yellow connectors for regulated 12v and orange for unregulated 20v from panels.

I can't comment on rubbing the back of the panels as I have yet to travel with mine.

Cheers,

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Mal,

You may be be able to make a bracket off the panels frame to bolt an anderson to, or sikaflex the anderson to the back of the panel.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

leeke0

Post by leeke0 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:27 am

Hi.
Thinking about this, the cable from each of the panels has an anderson plug on the end where they join. The"onboard" regulator has a very short cable with anderson plug on the "input" and another on the "output" side.
When charging my battery, I just go straight from the panel cable to the ctek (bypassing the inboard regulator).
I thought, when I'm packing up, I just need to plug the panel cables back into the onboard regulator.
Issue solved, if there was an issue in the first place.
Thanks
Malcolm.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Mal,

Now that we have your problem solved, got any harder ones :?: :lol:
happy camping
Rob & Carol

leeke0