What jack to use

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

cb2710

What jack to use

Post by cb2710 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:51 am

Hi All
Firstly want to say how great this site and forum is. It's been a great source of advice for a novice camper.

We have a standard off- road galvanised soft floor camper and I was wondering what jack everyone carries to change a flat. The trailer has an ATM of 1500kg and is obviously higher than a regular trailer. I was looking at getting a hi- lift jack but have read some horror stories of them not being very stable. A few suggest a standard bottle jack with a block of wood to get the extra height needed.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to the best option?
Cheers
Chris

phil_oz_au

Re: What jack to use

Post by phil_oz_au » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 am

I've had need to change a blown tyre in the middle of nowhere, or was it back-o-Burke. :oops:
I used the standard car (Prado) jack with few problems. As you mentioned height can be an issue. :o
I overcame this by sitting the jack on blocks of wood. :idea:
I always travel with a few blocks of wood, for this and many other purposes. 8-)
Hope this helps
Cheers
Phil
Relax ...
... it's the Journey, not the destination. :lol:

cb2710

Post by cb2710 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks Phil. Sounds like a few off-cuts is the way to go.
Cheers

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:26 am

I always keep a wooden jacking plate about a foot square in the car for placing the jack on, also in the camper a couple of 3x5 inch short off cuts to put the rear legs of the camper on if needed when camping on uneven ground.

We did have a blowout on a camper wheel once & I found I could only get the Patrol's hydraulic jack halfway along the axle with the rim on the ground & at that position I could not lift the wheel high enough. After jacking as high as I could, I carefully placed the two blocks under the axle & repositioned the jack under the fish plate where you would normally jack a leaf suspension from.

You may find there is nowhere to place a highlift jack on a soft floor camper as the bedbase overhangs the trailer making it difficult to get the highlift close enough.

The Jeep's scissor jack is a lot flatter & I don't think I would have much trouble getting that under the fish plate of the trailer when the tyre was dead flat.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year