Which tow vehicle for our new (2nd hand) Avan Cruiser?

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

gregmacc

Which tow vehicle for our new (2nd hand) Avan Cruiser?

Post by gregmacc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi all ... We've come to the realisation that our 2012 manual Forester (2.5 Lt petrol) is going to struggle. The rear suspension sags when the van is fully loaded ... even though tow weights are within Subaru's recommended parameters. Suspension upgrade options are very limited, and we don't want to live with a harsh ride when the car is used for normal unladen city driving. The clutch needs to be very carefully looked after, and although power is adequate, it's a long way from optimal when touring fully loaded in demanding situations.
So, which vehicle to upgrade to?
90% of our driving will be around the city and suburbs (Adelaide). We really like SUVs for a general purpose vehicle. We don't necessarily need extreme 4WD capability. It's more to do with being able to tow the van comfortably on decent (and not so decent) unsealed outback roads. We won't be going a lot further into the bush than I can tow the van ... and that isn't exactly "off road".
I'm thinking Northern Flinders/Gammons, Gawler Ranges as the roughest destinations. And a lot of our trips will be on interstate tarmac. When touring on holidays we plan to venture a little further into moderate 4WD tracks with the van left at the campsite (obviously), so better than sedan ground clearance will be required.
We have a budget of $60,000 (new vehicle). We would consider 2nd hand, late model/low km/perfect maintenance history. This will hopefully be a car that "does us" for the next 10 years. We are keen to try turbo diesel for fuel economy and "towability".
Avan weights fully loaded:
ATM: 1160 kg
Tow ball mass: 114 kg
We also carry a 60Lt fridge, sometimes up to 20Lt of extra water, and a 30 kg second battery in the tow vehicle. A roof rack mounted 120 watt solar panel will be a future addition.
Vehicles we are considering:
Prado: Current model is pretty ugly, and wouldn't often need it's 4WD capabilities (but would be very handy now and then)
Territory: ?
Ranger: But would prefer a wagon
Sorento: ? towing?
Santa Fe: ? towing?

All suggestions and opinions gratefully accepted.
Cheers
Greg

Coxy68

Re: Which tow vehicle for our new (2nd hand) Avan Cruiser?

Post by Coxy68 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Have you looked at the Isuzu MUX?

We have had a bit of a preliminary look & they look pretty good & are a hell of a lot cheaper than the Prado. I'm not 100% sure of their capability though...

Cheers,

Jason

gregmacc

Post by gregmacc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks Jason ... No, haven't considered the MUX, but will do so right now ... Who names these vehicles? MUX ... hmmmmm?

gregmacc

Post by gregmacc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:54 pm

OK ... So it's MU-X ... still a worry :?

Coxy68

Post by Coxy68 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 pm

I'll be very interested to hear any feedback on the MU-X Greg.

Cheers,

Jason

gregmacc

Post by gregmacc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Just had a good look over the website (which is refreshingly user friendly). I like the looks of the MU-X. And the engine's heritage. And the 5 year warranty and roadside assist. Base model auto in white is $52,115 drive away. Don't want/need 7 seats ... wonder how removal would go? Would need to add fog lights, roof rails, and tow bar. Website seems to indicate fog lights and roof rails can't be optioned? I've emailed local dealership for more info ...

knight44

Post by knight44 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:23 pm

G'day Greg,

Have a look at the Mitsubishi Challenger. Slightly smaller (but not much) than the Pajero and the Prado and a lot cheaper. It's a very capable 4WD and will easily tow your Avan. Only diesel now and I have the auto. It only comes as a five-seater which gives you a nice flat rear cargo compartment.

I bought one a few months ago and have just come back from a trip through Central Australia over some very corrugated roads indeed with the Anne Beadell Highway being the worst. The total trip covered 12,500km (about 5,000km of dirt) and fuel consumption was a reasonable 11.8l/100km. Two passengers and the car was loaded with gear (weren't towing). Nothing went wrong.

I also had a look at the MU-X when deciding about a new 4WD. You can't remove the third row of seats except with a spanner, and doing this technically turns it into a five-seater and it is supposed to be certified as such. And if you put the seats back, you are supposed to get it re-certified as a seven seater. The rear floor is not flat either if you do this.

Cheers
Richard

gregmacc

Post by gregmacc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks Richard ... Another one I haven't looked at ... A friend of mine has one, and tows a very similar van. I'll drop him a line ...
Cheers
Greg

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:07 pm

The MUX is based upon the Dmax which I have. A very capable tow vehicle with a proven engine and a bullet proof Aisin auto box. Highly recommend you take one for a test drive. It was the only dual cab which my wife enjoyed driving and we test drove them all.

There is a fairly active thread on the MUX over on the 4x4 Earth forum
http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/mu/300 ... fo-34.html

Coxy68

Post by Coxy68 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 am

Hi Greg,

When we looked recently, they were offering the top of the range model with tow pack and bullbar for around the $46,500 mark, and that was only a few weeks ago. Sydney based.

I think if you pushed them for price, then you may find they come up with a pretty good price.

Cheers,

Jason