Trailered batteries in NSW.

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

andrewdale

Trailered batteries in NSW.

Post by andrewdale » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi campers,
A good mate has just informed me, that the latest law in NSW requires that any batteries in a towed vehicle have to be monitored from the drivers cab, to ensure the batteries do not overcharge to a state of being dangerous.
Apparently a Qld lady caravan owner was stopped over the border and told to recross and get a monitor fitted in her car. I struggle to know when my ipad is fully charged, and I imagine the average Joe is in the same boat. Please advise if this is true. Do I disconnect my Anderson plug when I cross the border and enter the dark side?

Cheers Andy.

TinkCT

Re: Trailered batteries in NSW.

Post by TinkCT » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Sounds like an urban myth. Who stopped the Qld lady when she crossed the border? The battery police? Come on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

andrewdale

Post by andrewdale » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:06 pm

TinkCT wrote:Sounds like an urban myth. Who stopped the Qld lady when she crossed the border? The battery police? Come on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not in the habit of conjuring up myths. I was told by a friend of many years acquaintance, also a committed campertrailer and 4wd owner. Apparently it was a main roads inspector ie. Transport dept.

I was merely asking if it was the case, and was expecting a reply as to the veracity of the story from a NSW clubber. Something you have failed to do, as you repeated 4 times an abbreviation. Come on.
So, is it the law or not?
Cheers.

depslibrary

Post by depslibrary » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:19 am

Perhaps this article might clarify
http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/article/970/
David and Joy Wilkinson

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Andy,

I think you have been told only half the story, it is the battery that operates a breakaway braking system the lady would have been pulled up about.

In NSW trailers exceeding 2 tonnes GTM require a braking system which will operate automatically if the trailer separates from the tow vehicle. The ‘breakaway’ device is operated by a battery which needs to be in a state of full charge at all times. A warning device is fitted to warn the driver from the drivers seat if the battery charge falls below a level that the ‘breakaway’ will not work.

The battery that operates the breakaway brakes can be a stand alone battery or an auxiliary battery as used in most caravans to power lights etc & recharged by the vehicles alternator or solar etc.

Details at http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/bus ... ailers.pdf
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:43 am

andrewdale wrote:
TinkCT wrote:Sounds like an urban myth. Who stopped the Qld lady when she crossed the border? The battery police? Come on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not in the habit of conjuring up myths. I was told by a friend of many years acquaintance, also a committed campertrailer and 4wd owner. Apparently it was a main roads inspector ie. Transport dept.

I was merely asking if it was the case, and was expecting a reply as to the veracity of the story from a NSW clubber. Something you have failed to do, as you repeated 4 times an abbreviation. Come on.
So, is it the law or not?
Cheers.
So from both of the above replies, your friend of many years acquaintance has told you a wrong story. Nothing to do with just "any batteries" but instead specifically the breakaway system's battery and nothing to do with "ensuring the batteries do not overcharge to a state of being dangerous". Where did that bit of extra scare mongering come from :D

As for "telling her to recross the border", no transport inspector or even a police officer has that power. The transport inspector could have given her a default notice or a fine, but certainly can not give that type of direction. Also the articles quoted above prove that another part of your friend's story is also wrong as interstate vehicles are exempt from the NSW regs at this stage.

So as you can now see, an urban myth my friend. Have a nice day

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Our Redarc BCDC1225 DC to DC charger has a green wire that can be connected to an LED located somewhere on the vehicles dash to indicate the charging state of the camper trailer battery. When the LED is on it shows the battery is charging or maintaining a charge.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

andrewdale

Post by andrewdale » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks to all clubbers who responded to my query, with the GI meet so close in time I was a little concerned my rig was not compliant with NSW laws.
You have all kindly put my mind at rest. The feedback on this forum is excellent, and the clubbers helpful.
Gracias Amigos.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Andy,

Looking forward to catching up with you again at Glen Innes.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:05 am

andrewdale wrote:Thanks to all clubbers who responded to my query, with the GI meet so close in time I was a little concerned my rig was not compliant with NSW laws.
You have all kindly put my mind at rest. The feedback on this forum is excellent, and the clubbers helpful.
Gracias Amigos.
You're welcome. Enjoy your time at GI