Is a trailer that sits higher than the tow bar an issue?

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

auziemb

Is a trailer that sits higher than the tow bar an issue?

Post by auziemb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I bought a camper yesterday :D a Lifestyle Extenda 2011 after much research, with still many more bits to sort ready for a big trip around OZ next year.

I have hopefully a quick n simple question.

The trailer has large wheels on it, as it used to be towed by Nissan patrol, however for the next 6 months or so it will be towed by my ford falcon wagon, until I can upgrade that as well.

I'm new to towing & this is my 1st camper trailer.

So my questions: The draw bar when level sits higher than my cars tow bar, is this an issue when driving? & if so, what is the best way to solve it?

the trailer tyres are 265 diameter and my ford are 215.

Thanks for your input. Matt

TinkCT

Re: Is a trailer that sits higher than the tow bar an issue?

Post by TinkCT » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:16 am

Personally I would change your CT tyres to suit the tow vehicle. The CT will tow better if it is level.

leeke0

Post by leeke0 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:28 am

Hi Matt,
The Repco catalogue that arrived on the front lawn yesterday has trailer ball mounts that step down from box section that goes into the towbar. I don't know if you can reverse them to raise the height of the towball. Maybe ask Repco!
Malcolm

Beagle47

Post by Beagle47 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:02 am

The rig is best level WHEN CONNECTED or the trailer slightly higher. Reversing the towbar tongue/ball mount is an easy way to get closer to the ideal. Rated towballs are also available with a built in collar which raises the ball height (different size collars available). Tongues are available with a wide range of mount height variations. Variable height tongues are also available but expensive, heavy, and probably overkill for what you want.

As trailer heights vary significantly when loaded or empty, if testing when essentially empty, optimum height for the trailer is probably to be maybe an inch high. Too low is worse than too high.

Elsewhere

Post by Elsewhere » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Be aware that if you change the wheel diameter, you will change the distance that the canvas has to drop to the ground. The canvas is usually designed to fit a trailer of a certain height.

armbrup

Post by armbrup » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:16 am

Also be aware that I have a suspicion that you will not be able to open the tailgate with a step up gooseneck.LOL
Regards Philip A