Camper Trailer Lifespan

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

JaredC

Camper Trailer Lifespan

Post by JaredC » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Looking to purchase a soft floor camper trailer for relatively cheap ~$10,000-$12,000 such as the RedTrack Fortescue, Cavalier Camper or Outback Walkabout. Was just wondering what the average lifespan of a soft floor trailer is provided it is well maintained. Trailer likely to be used full-time, lot of use throughout the year.

any help would be appreciated

thanks.

Burto51

Re: Camper Trailer Lifespan

Post by Burto51 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm

As you have said it all depends on how its looked after, we have a Heaslip which was manufactured in 1999, soft floor with walls made from Australian Bradmill canvas. Still going stroing, the floor has a couple of small patches 25mm by 25mm but that's all. Used rubber strip and contact cement. Before we set up if it looks rough, we rake with a collapsible rake, then we always use a piece of that artificial grass on the rubber backing (from clark rubber or similar). This provides some extra padding.
Our camper is well travelled, Cape, Kimberley, Tas, West Oz, these days we have prolonged trips, last year 3 months, this year 2 months, previously max away was 6 weeks.
The secret is I suppose is to start with quality materials, this could be the difficult part

Best of luck
Greg

armbrup

Post by armbrup » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:40 pm

I have a 1997 Camp'o'matic hard floor which I have owned for 8 years.
aside from a bullet hole in it when I bought it, the canvas is still perfect.
I have reproofed it twice now and it is waterproof in the heaviest rain.

You should avoid any camper with any hint of mildew damage and it is extremely important to dry them thoroughly before final packup.

The main wear items in all campers will be the zips, and usually it is the slider in the most used zip that goes first which is usually the main door flyscreen. In my case I was able to have the zips work perfectly again by just replacing the sliders for about $5.

Other than that I have replaced the shock absorbers, and taillights , and recently the jockey wheel which was damaged by a careless tow truck driver ( for the car). I also have updated the hitch from a Treg to a Mc hitch as they are much easier to use.
Regards Philip A

timsgonecamping

Post by timsgonecamping » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:56 pm

I know it's off the lifespan topic but how did you go about changing the zip slider Philip?

I've been told that they have to be replaced from the top whereas I would have thought it would be possible (and easier) to do it from the bottom.

It's one of those one-day-soon jobs to do.

Tim

armbrup

Post by armbrup » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Well I just unpicked the stitching at the top so that the zip can be separated and the slider slid off the end of the zip.
I am a bit untidy on such things but anyone should be able to avoid mangling the teeth so much that the zip slider will not go on.
Then I fit the new slider and once it is on , I stitch across the end of the zip with HD cotton so that the slider cannot go off the end again, as it is a PITA to remember to stop unzipping.

I don't think you can do it from the other end as the zip is closed then and AFAIK it is impossible to get the slider on from the small end.
Regards Philip A

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:42 pm

You'd probably budget to replace the wheel bearings from the off as they're a clear wear item. Under $300 if you get them done.

Canvas reproofing would be on the agenda for anything over 5 years, at some point. Will cost around $150 for the goo.

Batteries would also be on the way out after 5 years or less if badly treated.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 pm

The Bradmill canvas on our 1990 Track Trailer Eagle we bought in 1993 did very well for the constant use we gave it. The canvas was looking a little worse for wear & the vinyl stiffer, especially the travel cover that had gone hard & lost its waterproofing. I think it had did well over the years http://www.campertrailers.org/robcaz_eagle.htm

The bulletproof hot dipped trailer was still in top condition after thousands of kilometres, so we decided a couple of years ago to add new canvas from All Terrain with a few twigs of our own http://www.campertrailers.org/robcazeag ... update.htm

Hope we can lift the canvas in another 20 years :D
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Campers

Post by Campers » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi Jared C, I read your posting and immediately went into cost vs value mode. Cost is easy ($12k), and Value is cost (12k) times utility. If away for one year for say 100 days in the CT the daily rate for you is $120 plus petrol plus plus. If 2 years at 100 days down to $60 a day plus plus. 5 years and 100 days use is $24 a day plus plus. If selling after 5 years and getting 100% back may be unrealistic. Finding a buyer after 5 years on $12k CT may be a little hard as the 2nd hand market is cramped. Getting say $2,000 after 5 years brings your value of 500 nights under the stars down to $20 a day (night) plus plus. That to me is VALUE. If trash by then, it goes up by $4 a day, If it lasts 500 days, probably still god value.
The Campers
2014 Aussie Swag Camper Ultra D + 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:17 am

Hi Campers,

That makes our Track Trailer Eagle we have owned for 21 years very cheap accommodation. Now to get our monies worth from the new All Terrain canvas we put on a couple of years ago. :lol:
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year