Quick QLD trip looking for feedback on these overnight stops

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Fidon

Quick QLD trip looking for feedback on these overnight stops

Post by Fidon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi All,

We are planning a very quick 4000 kms in 9 days round trip to hopefully pick up our camp trailer.

have been going cross-eyed with maps and have updated my camps Australia wide book.. etc and its been ohhh, around 10 years since I was last in rural QLD.

but having decided on "plan a forward and plan b return " itineraries I'm now looking for feedback if anyone has recently stayed at or checked out the following please, as we won't have the flexibility to "go onto the next option" each day, due to the distance we are covering in such a short time.

1) Glenmorgan (behind old railway station) (town about 1/2 way between Goondiwindi and Roma, just a sleep break)
2) Theresa Creek Dam (9Sw of Clermont)
3) Lake Elphinstone (SW of Mackay)
4) Bridgewater Creek Rest Area (E of Dingo... does anyone know how far into the dams, and if we can take a dip at the dams and if a RAV4 can get to them... rather than the dedicated 4x4)
5) Lake Broadwater Conservation Park. ( is this a place to avoid on a Friday night due to "locals heading there for the weekend" maybe)

yes there's a definite "swimming holes" theme happening, might have something to do with a 43 degree day today.

Thanks to anyone that can offer anything

Fi

planning.... to relax

Ern_Reeders

Re: Quick QLD trip looking for feedback on these overnight s

Post by Ern_Reeders » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:00 pm

All I can offer is a reference to the WikiCamps app which has user comments on some sites: http://wikicamps.com.au/

For other forum help try exploroz.com , 4x4earth.com.au or myswag.org

Good luck with picking up the new CT.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

Fidon

Post by Fidon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 am

Thanks Ern.

We are currently on the return route of the trip..happily with our new to us camper. Have only stopped at one of the "planned" places thus far..but have found some fantastic alternatives, 3 nights left, thank heavens for mobile internet, had been referring to to sites you mention already most places I'd wanted to research the info was 1 or 2 years old.
Next year will be a much more relaxing slower pace.
2 very happy campers.
Fi
planning.... to relax

Fidon

Post by Fidon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Fidon wrote:Hi All,

Feedback for the benefit of others based on our experience last week

1) Glenmorgan (behind old railway station)...Meandarra about 23kms SE was much better, showers now across the road at Apex park, and great shade on the creek bank, mind the swooping magpies however
2) Theresa Creek Dam (9Sw of Clermont) oh what to say, what to say, lets just say we forwent out registration fee of $10 bucks and headed back into Clermont..... I'm sure it would have been nice IF we'd gotten there before everyone else on a weekend
3) Lake Elphinstone (SW of Mackay)Gorgeous spot, again avoid on weekends, if 80 + other campers isn't your scene, oh and mosquito heaven, don't turn your light on inside your camper IF you haven't shut the door / screen :roll:

4) Bridgewater Creek Rest Area didn't stay here , too noisy, much better down the road ( for us) at Dauringa and definitely no dam.. not sure now why I ever thought there was one

5) Lake Broadwater Conservation Park. ( is this a place to avoid on a Friday night due to "locals heading there for the weekend" maybe)
oh dear oh dear, it sure was, we learnt that the way to "break" the don't camp beyond this point of the foreshore rule was to arrive on mass Friday night with swags and speedboats, apparently swags aren't camping?????? and how polite of them to start the waterskiing at 6.45am.... beautiful spot, just not Friday / Saturday / sunday maybe

why oh why... when there are 3-4 acres of camping grounds, must people pull up and set up their group of 5 trailers right next to one of only 4 other campers on site at the time? and then stay up all night drinking and talking at the top of their pickled voices? apparently you marinate the meat in brown sugar and soy sauce, cook it one side for 30 mins.. turn it over for 30 mins and then cook again for 45 mins... la la la la la.

I have soooo much to learn. ;)

Fi

planning.... to relax

ats11279

Post by ats11279 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Fidon,

thanks for the tip on Glenmorgan. Am planning a road trip after Christmas, and this was my planned stop day 2.

Cheers Anthony.

Fidon

Post by Fidon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:30 pm

ats11279 wrote:Fidon,

thanks for the tip on Glenmorgan. Am planning a road trip after Christmas, and this was my planned stop day 2.

Cheers Anthony.

your welcome Anthony, at Meandarra, there was a small cluster of caravans / motorhomes, at where the powered sites were, maybe 6 in total, as we didn't need power we just went further along the creek bank which they don't have a problem with. Lovely friendly little place, would like to go back and spend a few days relaxing on that bank. locals were all friendly and genuinely welcoming too. Road noise, what little there was stopped as dusk set in.

probably one of the favourites in the 9 day trip.

Fidon
planning.... to relax