bike racks on the rear of the camper trailer

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

robcaz

bike racks on the rear of the camper trailer

Post by robcaz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi All,

For some time I have been trying to put together a list of the different state laws relating to number plates on the rear of camper trailers or caravans if the bicycle on the rear mounted bike rack covers the number plate. Trouble is I get feedback from the different state traffic authorities for the rules & regulations covering the number plates on the rear of vehicles, but when I ask about camper trailers...... they go blank.

As usual it seems every state has it own rules & regulations, however I have managed to put together this so far.....

* In NSW you must remove the trailers number plate if it is obscured by the bike & put it onto the bike carrier.
* In SA you can buy a bike rack number plate which is the same rego as the tow vehicle & use it on a vehicle or a trailer.
* In Qld trailer number plates come in two sizes. The smaller trailer plate must be removed & put onto the bike carrier if it is obscured by the bike. With the larger number plate an accessory number plate can be obtained with the same rego as the trailer & placed on the bike rack if the original plate is obscured.
* In Vic you can buy a bike rack number plate which is the same rego as the trailer.
* In WA you must remove the trailers number plate if it is obscured by the bike & put it onto the bike carrier.

Can anyone assist me in completing this list for camper trailers or caravans???

Also there are plenty of common sense rules that apply -
* a self made number plate is illegal
* Stop lights, tail lights & indicators must not be obscured by either the bicycle racks or the bikes themselves.
* A number plate on the rear of the trailer must be visible at a distance of 20 metres at an angle of 45 degrees on each side & 45 degrees from above.
* Between sunset and sunrise or during periods of poor visibility, the number plate on the rack must be illuminated with a white light, making the number clearly visible from a distance of 20 metres. This light must not project light to the rear of the vehicle, other than reflected light.
* Bicycle racks can only be attached to a vehicle for the purpose of transporting bikes. When you are not transporting bikes you can be fined for not removing the racks.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

SocialGeoff

Re: bike racks on the rear of the camper trailer

Post by SocialGeoff » Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 pm

One day but will never happen that they will realize that Australia...with a population of London should just have one set of road rulessssss....

bennyb

Post by bennyb » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:03 am

Thanks for putting together this list. I am also struggling to find the legal way to do this. I have been fined for having a home made number plate for a bike rack, which I was actually instructed to do by a police officer that pulled me over. So it's obviously very murky if not all the police know what the rules are. I would like to be able to cite or provide a copy of the rule/laws if I am pulled over by police again, but it seems very difficult to obtain. I emailed myplates to ask about this, and here is the response I got which might help with your list:

--- email from me to contactus@myplates.com.au ---

Hi,

I'm trying to find the rules / laws regarding attaching a bike rack to a towed camper trailer that will obscure the camper trailer's fitted number plate and brake lights. I have a bike rack with axillary tail lights and number plate, that meets all the regulations when fitted to my car. The bike rack will also fit to the rear of my camper trailer, so I want to find out if I should use the car's auxiliary number plate when the bike rack is fitted to the camper trailer, or if I should remove the number plate from the camper trailer and attach it to the bike rack. I would appreciate if you could supply me with a link to this information, or if that's not possible, in a format that I can use to safeguard myself against receiving a fine or demerit points.

Cheers,
Ben

--- response from contactus@myplates.com.au ---

HI Ben,

Thank you for your email.

You will always use your cars registration number for ordering and displaying a Auxiliary plate.

I could only find the below on the website.

22 Auxiliary number-plates(cf 2007 reg cll 21 and 21A)
(1) Transport for NSW may, on payment of any applicable fee, issue an auxiliary number-plate (in addition to any vehicle number-plates) bearing the registration number assigned to the motor vehicle for which it is issued.
Note—
Clause 20 requires Transport for NSW to assign a distinguishing registration number to any motor vehicle that is registered (conditionally or otherwise) by Transport for NSW. See clause 13 for conditional registration.
(2) An auxiliary number-plate cannot be issued for a motor bike or motor trike.
(3) An auxiliary number-plate is to conform to any specifications that Transport for NSW determines and must display the matter “NSW” or the words “New South Wales”, and any other words or matter that may be determined—
(a) by Transport for NSW with the consent of the Minister in the case of an auxiliary number-plate that is a standard number-plate, or
(b) by Transport for NSW in the case of an auxiliary number-plate that is a special number-plate.
(3A) Subclause (3) does not apply in respect of an auxiliary number-plate that is issued in addition to a heavy vehicle number-plate. However, an auxiliary number-plate that is issued in addition to a heavy vehicle number-plate must conform to any specifications that Transport for NSW determines.
(4) An auxiliary number-plate must not be displayed unless the rear number-plate of the motor vehicle for which it is issued is obscured by—
(a) an apparatus attached to the motor vehicle for use in transporting a bicycle, personal mobility device or motor bike, or
(b) a trailer or caravan being towed by the motor vehicle, but only if the number-plate of the trailer or caravan is obstructed by an apparatus attached to the trailer or caravan for use in transporting a bicycle or personal mobility device, or
(c) an implement, a vehicle exempt from registration, or an unregistered registrable vehicle, being towed by the motor vehicle, or
(d) a trailer being towed by the motor vehicle for the conveyance of a boat, but only if the number-plate of the trailer is obscured by the boat.

--- end of quoted emails ---

So, I think this clause suggests that the auxiliary car plate can be used on a bike rack attached to a camper trailer:

"An auxiliary number-plate must not be displayed unless the rear number-plate of the motor vehicle for which it is issued is obscured by—
(b) a trailer or caravan being towed by the motor vehicle, but only if the number-plate of the trailer or caravan is obstructed by an apparatus attached to the trailer or caravan for use in transporting a bicycle or personal mobility device"

But, it does seem like the most sensible thing to do would be to put the camper trailer's number plate on the bike rack - which is what robcaz has in the list. Robcaz - are you able to provide links or references to the rules in your list, so we can refer to some legal documentation if pulled over by the police? I am registered in NSW, and good to know what the different rules are when crossing borders.

Also, just wanted to add that I am in the process of making an extension double adapter lead so that I can connect the electrics from my car to both my camper trailer and bike rack plate lights at the same time - it doesn't seem like something you can buy which goes to show this is not the normal way bike racks are meant to be fitted.

Cheers,
Ben

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:29 am

Hi Ben,

I found very little information on the different states motoring departments websites for the rules when a trailers number plate is obsured by bikes carried on a bike rack. Infact it was hard getting a reply from some states as they only replied with the rules for a vehicle & not a trailer. When I queried that it was for a trailer, some states did not reply or passed it onto their supervisor who I did not hear from. So even some states do not know the answer.

The list is correct when I put it together in 2015 with information in replies via email direct from that states motoring department. Of course every state has to have different laws. The most sensible approad for when a trailers number plate is obsured would be SA, where you can buy a bike rack number plate the same rego as the tow vehicle & use it on a vehicle or a trailer.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year