tips needed on a neat and dry soft floor pack up

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Azamagnum

tips needed on a neat and dry soft floor pack up

Post by Azamagnum » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 am

Hi all,

we have a (new to us) Southern Cross soft floor camper.

Can I hear peoples methods for getting a nice neat and dry pack up of a soft floor camper please ?

Weve packed up a few times but each time a bit different with differernt results.

I'm sure the more experience ones here have a few tricks or short cuts to make things easier.

cheers,
Aza
Illawarra
South Coast NSW
Southern Cross soft floor camper

robcaz

Re: tips needed on a neat and dry soft floor pack up

Post by robcaz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi Aza,

After twenty years packing the same canvas onto the camper trailer we really didn't have to think too much to what had to be done packing up. I have received a few emails from members who had purchased a preloved Track Trailer Eagle on how we packed the canvas onto the camper, so I put together this page on our website http://www.robcaz.net/folding_the_camper.htm

You will notice that the canvas may pack onto one side more than the other, but the vinyl floor ends up on top so it does not dirty the canvas. We then pack the extra canvas onto the low side along with the poles, shower tent, solar panel etc which brings it up to level.

A couple of years ago we had new canvas fitted by All Terrain Campers which required a totally different packup arrangement http://www.robcaz.net/new_canvas.htm

We tried a few different ways, but it wasn't until we were on a six week trip with mostly overnighters requiring constant morning packups, that we developed a routine & streamlined the process. The pushout wall of the tent from the camper had velco on the canvas to hold the frame in position. We found we could better handle the canvas if the frame was not attached to the canvas like the old canvas was. After I push the frame out I sometimes wrap the velco back around it. (hope you know what I mean???)

Again the bottom of the vinyl floor ends up on the top as it did before & mostly to one side with all the extra canvas, a small folding table, shower tent, poles, solar panel & at times our two folding camping chairs filling up the low side http://www.robcaz.net/newcanvas13.JPG

Hope that helps.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

KevKathQld

Post by KevKathQld » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm

To follow up on what Rob said we used to it down some shade cloth under the soft floor. This helped in keeping the floor from getting too wet on the bottom and helped stop it from being covered in dirt and mud. It also helped with not killing the grass if we were there for a few days...
Kevin & Kathleen
Lifestyle Breakaway Two Plus. Tug is a 2009 Toyota Prado D4D 120 Series GXL with lots of mods...

Azamagnum

Post by Azamagnum » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks guys,

I'll put some shadecloth down first I think.

Last use we had a wet packup, pouring rain in fact, so it was very messy and rushed.

Got home, set up again and dried out. Took time to fold every thing up and it looks much neater, but still a lump along the passenger side where most of the canvas sits.

Our Southern Cross canvas only has 2 internal hinged bows. I assume these need to be loosened off(ie shortened) before I drop the tent, then tensioned up(extended) when we erect the thing. Does that sound right ? Rather not do it as its just another adjsustment to make, but I guess its has to happen due the the geometry and canvas/bed base size.

I also leave the doorway unzipped so the air can escape when folding up.

cheers,
Aza
Illawarra
South Coast NSW

johnhgh

Post by johnhgh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi, I think you will find that most soft floors end up with a lump down one side, we just put the table and extra bits on the other side to even it all up before putting on the tonneau cover.

Cheers

John
John & Penny

Brisbane

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Aza,

Different camper trailer manufacturers have different internal bow setups. You will only have to shorten the bows of the framework if they hang over the sides of the trailer when packed. Just throw all your gear on the other side to level the top of the trailer up before you put the travel cover on.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Azamagnum

Post by Azamagnum » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:50 am

That sounds like a plan.

However our cover is only held on by a perimeter bungy cord. This led to some objects (chairs) sliding out from under the cover somehow and ending up on the road ! I cant risk that hapenning again.

On closer inspection there is a zipper that will connect the cover to the trailer, but it will need to be fixed as there are teeth missing I think.
Are these big thick zippers an expensive item if the whole lot needs to be renewed ?

Do others have different attachement methods for the cover ? Velcro, eyelets etc ? ?
Illawarra
South Coast NSW

kenmcguinness

Post by kenmcguinness » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:39 am

Azamagnum wrote:
Do others have different attachement methods for the cover ? Velcro, eyelets etc ? ?

Many have webbing straps that go over the top of the cover from side to side (and front to back) attached to the underside of the base board. This would be an easy home mod to do and should keep heavy objects in place under the cover

cheers
ken mc
http://www.aroundlife.net

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi Aza,

I do not know anyone on the south coast that replaces the zips on travel covers, but if you contact Explorer Campers on the central coast at West Gosford http://www.explorercampers.com.au & let them know Rob from the campertrailers.org recommended you, they will look after you. Cheapest option would be to remove the vinyl skirt with zip that is attached to the bedbase so they do not have to remove & reinstall it.

Our travel cover is just bungie corded around the outside & we have never lost anything http://www.robcaz.net/dt001.jpg

We always had trouble with dust getting up under the front & back, so when we had the new canvas made I came up with a couple of ideas. Before the travel cover is put on a vinyl skirt across the back which is slotted into sail track covers the canvas http://www.campertrailers.org/robcazcanvas14.JPG

While a skirt on the front goes down under the front edge http://www.campertrailers.org/robcazcanvas15.JPG
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Azamagnum

Post by Azamagnum » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Good ideas Ken and Rob, ta.

I do like the idea of storing extra stuff on the tent but under the cover. Bulky camp chairs and table come to mind.
Would it be wise to use the shadecloth underfloor sheet on top of the tent once packed up, mainly to protect the canvas from the camp chairs and table ? Then the cover over the lot ?

I seem to remember a vinyl skirt with zipper attached to the base board somehow, I'll have to check. But your right, it would save time and money if I bundled up the detached skirt(with buggered zip) and cover together, then took the lot for repairs.
Illawarra
South Coast NSW