Tyres for Kimberley Trip

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

robcaz

Re: Tyres for Kimberley Trip

Post by robcaz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi Tim,

The Jeep has low pressure tyre monitors & has most likely saved a tires with a slow leak when towing on a couple of occassions. Sidewinder has a couple of different tyre monitor models & offers members a discount. Check the discount to members section for details.

When looking for new tyres make note to the number of ply in the sidewalls. While researching for replacement tyres for the Jeep in the AT range I have found those that have a lighter vehicle with lighter suspension, as apposed to a vehicle that is loaded up with accessories & heavier coils to carry a load, are very disappointed in the ride of the vehicle with replacement tyres that have 8 or 10 ply sidewalls after the original tyres have 6 ply sidewalls.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi Rob

Couldn't find Sidewinder in the discount to member's section or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
Tink

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Disregard. Listed under the batteries heading. Doh

Tink

wishniwozfishn

Post by wishniwozfishn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:41 am

I wouldn't do the Kimberley or anywhere with extensive gravel road driving with the dunlops. In reality, probably applies to all tyres that come as std on new 4wd's. I'm not knocking the tyres, its just that they are very road and comfort orientated and have no real endearing qualities for any off road work. Any reasonable quality all terrain light ruck tyre will be an upgrade, but a very aggressive tyre might drive you nuts on the long drives with tyre noise. Whatever tyre you decide to use, the pressures are the key to reducing your drama's and as mentioned by others, a TPMS is a great investment. My TPMS has saved me about 4 times for sure in the last 4 years and provided invaluable piece of mind. I use it to help me get the pressures right as far as the 4psi rule is concerned and if you do that you'll be on the right course no matter what load you are hauling. In my 100 series Toyota fully loaded with 285x75x16 tyres I'd typically run between 25-35psi on the Kimberly gravel roads depending on speed and actual surface (32-35psi for fast gravel to 90/100kph and 25psi for slow rocky tracks to 30/40kph max) Empty or light laden is less and as mentioned above I'm a believer in the 4psi rule and use that say my guide to get pressure right (4psi rule: set pressure and drive normally for about 1.0hr then check pressures again. If pressure increases by 4psi then you are spot on, less than 4psi means pressure too high, more than 4psi means pressure too low). The TPMS is great for keeping an eye on whats happening downstairs.

nilbor

Post by nilbor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:17 pm

I have had BFG AT light truck on the Prado for 57000k now and plan to finish them off with a trip Qld to WA later this year. I mostly avoid the bitumen.Have done the Birdsville, Strezlecki, Oodnadatta, Tanami twice now and been right across the top end -also Tasmania and the Victorian High country.. Got some block chipping on a basalt track on a property in SE Qld when I got lazy with tyre pressure. Match the tyre pressure to the conditions and BFG would be more than adequate for the Kimberley. When I still had the Dunlop tyres I stored them for trips and put them back on when I got home til I wore them out. I will get BFG again. Cost $40 from Bob Jane to change them over.

timsgonecamping

Post by timsgonecamping » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:46 pm

I decided I should ask work whether they minded me fitting different tyres to the Prado (since I sort of lease/rent the car from them) for this trip.
I thought that if I fitted them without permission they may feel that they have a right to refuse paying repair costs if I had a prang.
I believe they self-insure so they can make up their own rules.

Unfortunately they decided that they wanted the Dunlops left on till they wear out and may then consider a change. :roll:
I told them that the changeover would be at my cost however that didn't seem to make any difference.
So Dunlops it is. :?

Once I own the car I'll get some decent rubber on (probably BFGs).
For this trip I'll get a tyre monitoring kit, to keep an eye on things, and two spares .
I'll also keep the fingers crossed and the tyre repair kit handy and see how it goes.
Wish me luck.
Tim
Cub Supamatic Regal + Prado + Tim & Julie

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Best use for OEM tyres is for power slides on gravel roads.

That'll get you decent replacements pretty quick too.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

Dave G

Post by Dave G » Sat May 31, 2014 11:12 pm

Just finished the GRR and last month the Tanami and found both to be very variable in condition with some really good sections but also some very average stony/gravelly parts and long parts that were corrugated. Ran tyres at 28 psi front and 30 psi rear keeping speed below 80 klms and have only minor chipping of the tread blocks and no flat or otherwise damaged tyres. Those that I talked to that had had flat or damaged tyres were generally travelling faster than 80 klms and had higher pressures. Also came across people with OEM tyres that slowed down to below 80 klms and got through unscathed as well. The only problem were the idiots that wouldn't slow down as they approached you and sprayed rocks over you and created huge dust clouds. Thankfully no broken windscreen or lights.

Cheers

Dave

timsgonecamping

Post by timsgonecamping » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Just back from the 3 month Kimberley trip and thought I should let you know how the factory tyres went.
Short answer is, better than expected.

Four flats on the car tyres over the 17000km. Went via the Buchanan Highway, Duncan Rd, Cape Leveque, Gibb River Rd, Kalumburu, first 100Km of the CSR then home via the Tanami and then Plenty Highway and down through Diamantina National Park, so a lot of dirt road.

One flat was caused by a 12mm spanner through the centre of the tread while travelling on Duncan Road. Handy souvenir but not the best way to pick up spare tools.
Number two was a pointy rock through the tread on the way to Kalumburu but easily plugged.
Two more flats on the last day of dirt after Diamantina. One a cut on the shoulder of the tread and the second a stick through the sidewall.
All in all quite reasonable considering the tyres concerned.

Very glad to have the 3 spares for the car tyres plus the tyre repair kit.
Also demonstrated the value of the tyre monitoring system. Two of the flats were slow leaks so happy to find our early. The other two were sudden flats (particularly the spanner) so fairly obvious.
Ran 28psi on all the tyres when on the dirt.
No problem with the trailer tyres.

I’ll still buy some better tyres when I own the Prado but happy with the outcome.
Tim
Cub Supamatic Regal + Prado + Tim & Julie

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks for the update. That's quite a trip.

I've just got a TPMS; good investment in saving tyres IMO.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X