AGM batteries

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Ovaworked

AGM batteries

Post by Ovaworked » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 am

Just wondering what people have or had, that works or has failed?

Looking I think for 2 x 120amp batteries & wanna do it right the 1st time

OldBikerPete

Re: AGM batteries

Post by OldBikerPete » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 am

I have two 100AH Marine AGM batteries in my expanda. Recently replaced both as one failed after six years. (Since they are wired in parrallel, need two have a pair that are exactly the same). Since the camper has permamently fitted solar panels, they are on constant float charge in storage so the maximum life can be expected as long as they are never dischaged below about 40%.

Peter

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:59 pm

We have two Rita 120 amp hour AGM batteries in our camper. They are now four & a half years old & very healthy being well looked after & maintained.

There are many different brands of AGM or Absorbed Glass Matt batteries on the market these days with some unknown brands sourced from overseas of unknown quality. It is definately worth sticking to the brands that are commonly used in the recreation vehicle industry for known battery life & therefore value for money.

Whatever the brand the secret of good AGM battery life is the charging & discharging or cycling. A good rule of thumb to follow is not to discharge your deep cycle battery below 50% capacity. As you can see on the graph, discharging only 10% of the battery capacity can give you 5000 cycles, compared to discharging it down to 10% left, which may give you 400 cycles.

Also a multi stage battery charger is the prefered method of charging an AGM battery that is of around 10% to 15% of the batteries capacity. A well maintained & properly charged AGM battery can last up to ten years or more.

Collyn Rivers article on AGM batteries http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com ... eries.html
50% rule http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/technical1.html#50percent
What size charger http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/chargesize.html
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Elsewhere

Post by Elsewhere » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi,

We have 2 x Gel-Tech AGM batteries, and they finally died after 9 years. Looking at options, but will probably stay with Gel-Tech, even though a little more expensive. They will fit perfectly and I know they last, so cost per year is quite good.

Cheers,

Southerncross

Post by Southerncross » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 am

I am using 2 x 6 volt 250ah Fullriver AGM batteries connected in series to 12 volt. I do have 3 x 75 watt solar panels and smart regulator looking after them.
I have been using this system for a few years and should last 10/12 years. "Power to burn"
Cheers