Trailer security options

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Winluke

Trailer security options

Post by Winluke » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 am

Hi,

A few months ago there was some discussion about trailer security measures and someone mentioned getting a super strong chain & padlock (titanium?). It worries me that most caravans and camper trailers that get stolen are never recovered. Thought that I had saved the thread but cant find.

We are keen to keep our camper trailer secure when we are not about.

Have been reading about the GPS locators as well but in country areas of Australia will have mixed success due to signal but are keen to combine that with another method of security also.

Would like to secure our trailer to the uprights of our shed but obviously need a chain and padlock that are difficult to cut.

Additionally, any alternative suggestions to further secure the trailer would be appreciated. Have checked out the options on the camper trailer page, would like some recommendations as well.

Thanks heaps

Jason, Chelsea & Jack
Jason, Chelsea & Jack
New Generation Pioneer Onyx towed by 1996 Toyota Troop Carrier

robcaz

Re: Trailer security options

Post by robcaz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:04 am

Hi Jason, Chelsea & Jack,

While the CCA Vehicle Tracker & phone need to be in mobile phone coverage to talk to each other, if the unit is out of range it will reply to your call with a text of the GPS co-ords when it returns back into coverage, the same as your mobile phone does. http://www.campertrailers.org/cca_vehicle_tracker.htm

Very few stolen camper trailers are ever recovered, so it must be very easy to rebirth them. It has been reported on several occassions that the thief has hooked up to a 240volt outlet to use an angle grinder to cut the chain. Neighbours had just thought nextdoor was working in the shed.

Wheel clamps are portable & can be used at home or when camping. The chains are placed in such a way it is hard to get bolt cutters or a grinder to cut them. There are a number of different brands available. I am halfway through writing an article on one brand of wheel clamp which has offered members a discount.

If you check the discount to members folder, Barrier Security http://www.barsec.com.au offer members a 10% discount on the Scorpion Wheel Clamp + $40 postage anywhere in Australia

To find a subject in the archives of the new style Neo Yahoo Group, type a target word ie 'security' into the 'search groups' window. After that search opens you can hit 'advanced search' to define the search more by using author, subject, message or date.

You will find what is available in the way of camper security on the tech tips page at http://www.campertrailers.org/securing_your_camper.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Coxy68

Post by Coxy68 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Jason, Chelsea & Jack,

Michael Wookey also did a lot of research into a GPS traking device for his camper & settled on the Spot Hug device as his preferred option. His review can be found here: http://www.campertrailers.org/spot_hug.htm

Cheers,

Coxy

coopers1969

Post by coopers1969 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:01 pm

I use a high quality D lock that I use on my bike. I place it though the poly block hole. Plus a wheel lock if they can't attach it to a car then I recon they will have a hard time taking mt camper.

Muddy9

Post by Muddy9 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the tip on using a D lock. Would not have thought to use this.

Muddy9
:D

GEOFF.PAULINE

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 pm

I place the pin back through the poly block of the Treg hitch , It has 2 holes in the pin. I put the safety pin in one and a padlock through the other . Won't stop a real thief , but will be that little harder. I also have good Neighbours and they know that no one else will hook up the Trailer if I'm not with it and will ring the Police.
I also have it behind locked gates , plus the 2 dogs who will bark but are to friendly to defend the property.

All the best.

Geoff & Pauline.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40
" Live each day as though it's your last , Because one day you will be right."