Yalwal

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

philcruiser

Yalwal

Post by philcruiser » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 am

Hi All, First post,
Has anyone been to Yalwal lately with a camper trailer?, Im heading there at Easter from the Goulburn/ Nerriga way, Im not sure if i can get trailer in ,I think on Yarramunmun fire trail to get to Danjera Dam. Thanks guys and gals

Ian Wilkin

Re: Yalwal

Post by Ian Wilkin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:53 am

G'day Phil,
Have not done it for a few years now.
Most of the track may be OK with a bit of care and some excellent dirt road, BUT

About 50 metres at the Yalwal end is like the highway to Hell.
It is used by yahoos to test their skills at rock climbing.
There it another track about 5kms east that is generally quite OK, I think the name is Deans track or something like that.
Regards
Ian

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm

We camped at Yalwal last October returning from the CamperTrailers national meet. The road in from Nowra is narrow & winding dirt with many blind corners. We were lucky not to have a head on with a young bloke in the middle on the track in a blind lefthand corner.

The amenities are clean while the smallish all dirt campground looks like it is well used. I think it would be wall to wall canvas over the Easter break. The night we stayed there it was midweek & only two other camps.

The next morning we drove out to the Braidwood Road via the old gold mining road which had a steel gate wide open. When we got to the Braidwood Road there was a locked gate, but luckily a track went around it. A couple of km's towards Nowra we heading east on a firetrail through a gap in the escarpment down to the Princess Highway south of Nowra.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Coxy68

Post by Coxy68 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:18 am

G'day Phil,

Like Ian, it's been a while since we drove the Yarramunmin Fire Trail, but the descent on the Yalwal end of the trail could be pretty tricky with a CamperTrailer in tow. Apart from that small section, the rest of the track is pretty good, though I know there used to be a couple of rather large bog holes around the middle of the track.

Enjoy your camp, where you end up & whichever way you get there.

Cheers,

Coxy

P-mac & Meegs

Post by P-mac & Meegs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:52 pm

The yarramunmun fire trail is usually locked off these days however that changes according to what damage has been done to the gate/s. I would suggest heading to Yalwal via West Nowra/Bamarang using Yalwal rd. It is usually well maintained however, once again, that can change because people continue to use it during wet weather which can hack it up a lot. It can get pretty ugly out there on long weekends with lots of noisy, agro, alcohol fueled groups with trail bikes and testing out their 4wd abilities (or not, as is more likely). Unfortunately this is happening to a lot of free camps. :cry: We live in the Shoalhaven.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:11 pm

P-mac & Meegs,

We kind of guessed Yalwal to be one of those campsites frequented by rowdies on weekends. There are a few around Newcastle we would not camp at on weekends, but ok mid week.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year