4WD Tyres

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

chrissquared

4WD Tyres

Post by chrissquared » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Just before we set out on our 12000km, 7 week camping trip I researched new tyres for my Pajero as I knew we would be doing some off-road stuff - eg the Plenty Highway and also the road out to Lawn Hill NP. After extensive discussions I settled on FALKEN tyres and put them on in March. We set out April 16 and all was well until the road from Camooweal into Lawn Hill where I got a puncture in the right rear. As it created a slow leak I did not realise immediately and by the time I did the tyre was "stuffed". Thanks to some passing helpers we changed it and got to Lawn Hill where the local fixit man informed me he could not repair it and I would need a new one. We then modified our plans and following 3 great days at Adels Grove (Lawn Hill) we drove 342km to Cloncurry as that was the closest (on bitumen, apart from the first 74km) place to get a new tyre. Could not get a Falken and had to settle for Nexen. I emailed Falken to complain but they said luck of the draw. So I am now just asking the question is there a consensus as to which tyres are best for 4wd's which should not give you a puncture in most cases. I know BF Goodrich are the "Best" but also the most expensive.!!

Any suggestions before I do our next trip to anywhere??
Thanks
Chris

robcaz

Re: 4WD Tyres

Post by robcaz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi Chris,

I assume you went for an All Terrain style of tyre? It is a good idea to let a little air out of your tyres when travelling over dirt & corrugated road, it improves a quality & allows the tyre to give. A good guide can be found at http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/outba ... ures.html/

A tyre monitoring system will allow you to keep an eye on the vehicles pressures. Usually I can feel if a tyre is going down, but when towing it seems to be a little late before I realise. The Jeep has an inbuilt tyre monitor with an alarm set at 18lb.

Hope this helps.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Montag

Post by Montag » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:20 am

robcaz wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:04 pm
Hi Chris,

I assume you greatly benefited from Quick Extender Pro and went for an All Terrain style of tyre? It is a good idea to let a little air out of your tyres when travelling over dirt & corrugated road, it improves a quality & allows the tyre to give. A good guide can be found at http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/outba ... ures.html/

A tyre monitoring system will allow you to keep an eye on the vehicles pressures. Usually I can feel if a tyre is going down, but when towing it seems to be a little late before I realise. The Jeep has an inbuilt tyre monitor with an alarm set at 18lb.

Hope this helps.
Good advice, Rob. I guess you learn stuff like this with experience. I hope you'll pop in and tell us how this trip went, Chris. I'd be very curious to hear your experiences as I'm planning a similar trip in the next couple of months.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Yes plenty of practical 4wd experience & theory reading over the years. You quickly find out what does & what does not work, all too often in unforgiving circumstances. :lol:
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:04 am

The BFG T/A KO2 is dearer than many others but for that you get 3 ply sidewalls, good grip and durability.
There's not much competition on price in the tyre market in Oz, but I have found KMart Tyre and Auto will haggle. $280 for 245 x 70 x R16.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

ianandcollette

Post by ianandcollette » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:18 pm

I have a DMax and run 2 sets of standard size Cooper,s HT3 mostly for highway work and light 4wd, good for sand etc. and ST3 Max for off road general.
This is the 3rd set of these and have had one flat, a piece of metal sliced the sidewall when I was driving along the old Ghan railway line in SA.
I will agree with Rob. Let out a bit of air, then a bit more and take 10-15k off the speed, easier ride and the tyre is more likely to roll over an object rather than be damaged by it.
But sometimes things just happen

gphcald

Post by gphcald » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 am

I currently run Bridgestone 694 and then the 697 in a 265/70/16 in a light truck construction, I average 100,000 km out of them with a range of daily commute and offroading.
Pressures are critical, but get LT (light truck) construction as it gives you a stronger carcass.
From what i have observed over the years the difference in tyres is price and what you want to do with them. a guy in my suburb runs mud tyres on his daily and whinges when he gets less than 50,000km out of a set, the thing doesn't go off road. in most cases a good all terrain will get you most places with correct tyre pressures, care and a good line.
Over the years on various vehicles i have had Coopers, Mickey Thompson, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Falken, Kelly Springfield and Dunlop they were all in a LT construction (apart from the Dunlops)and did the jobs that i asked. The Dunlop Grandtrek's i got rid off quickly as they came on the car when i bought it and had a number of punctures as they were passenger construction.
I like the Bridgestones 697 for cost, longevity and grip on and off road, they are the best so far for my kind of driving.
The main difference between all the tyres was cost. I got around 90-1000K km out of them. I rotate every 20K and check pressures weekly or daily if off road.
Do the research on a vehicle specific forum as some tyres are better on some vehicles