Wiring in a 3 wire computer fan into fridge compartment

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Qqscol

Wiring in a 3 wire computer fan into fridge compartment

Post by Qqscol » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 am

Hi all. I have just installed a Duratech precision 120mm fan into the side of my camper to expell hot air from the fridge compartment of my camper trailer. Fan purchased from Jaycar and came with no instructions just a 3 wire connector made for plugging straight onto a PC motherboard. 3 wires - red black and yellow. I cut off the connector and wired the red and black wires into my 12v system and ignored the yellow one . Although power is getting through to the fan it will not work. On-line research suggests the yellow wire needs to be connected to a thermostat for the fan to operate. Given a thermostat has two connectors, obviously as a switch on/off, I can see that you would connect the yellow wire to one pin and also the second pin but where does it join back into the circuit after that?
I assume I'm not the first and won't be the last to have experienced this dilemma. Can anyone help my out as to how to overcome this problem?
Thanks in advance .... Les Scott

Burto51

Re: Wiring in a 3 wire computer fan into fridge compartment

Post by Burto51 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Hello, I saw your post, I think the problem is that the fan is a brushless unit and the Yellow wire is required to be connected to a speed controller. Apparently Jaycar's service is not good in this regard.
This link may help you, it covers what you are trying to do.

http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t6 ... enclosure/

Good luck

Burto

ianandcollette

Re: Wiring in a 3 wire computer fan into fridge compartment

Post by ianandcollette » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Try the lazymans way, I have a simple on off switch, on when it hot and off when it’s not.
The caravan fridge is a 2 door Dometic 3 way, generates a lot of heat. I have 2 fans as exhaust in the top vent.
I also made up a frame of 3 fans and hang it on the bottom vent, or alternatively it sits on the top vent of my 3-way chescold.
Whatever way you do it, removing the heat and providing a good airflow over the coils, especially in absorption fridges is one of the best moves you can make