Location of HF auto-tune antenna

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

MrBeardie

Location of HF auto-tune antenna

Post by MrBeardie » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Very shortly I will be removing the tub and fibreglass canopy from our ute and building a flat bad and aluminium canopy so that it can be properly fitted out for touring. The problem I'm having is siting the HF auto-tune antenna (Barrett 2019). Being a Vic registered car I can't mount it on the front, at least not without inviting the wrath of the cops.

The antenna manufacturer states that it requires a minimum 160mm clearance to vehicle bodywork, so I am therefore thinking about making a bracket on the rear corner of the canopy that can be swung out and locked in position when required while leaving the antenna tucked close in when not required.

Before I start the work on that I'm looking for alternative ideas. Anyone?
Not there yet

grsouthern

Re: Location of HF auto-tune antenna

Post by grsouthern » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 pm

I have just read the vehicles standards 29 for Victoria. Their maximum width is 30 mm and has to be mounted far left. Unbelievable ! I hope you find a solution to mounting such a heavy antenna on a canopy.

MrBeardie

Re: Location of HF auto-tune antenna

Post by MrBeardie » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:19 pm

You gotta love the way some states decide that what's fine everywhere else is not safe for them. Interestingly, the very few Vic country cop cars I've seen with HF antennas all have them on the front. Apparently, what's unsafe for you and me is perfectly safe for a cop. I also wonder where Interstate vehicles stand legally once they cross into Vic.

Anyhow, now that I've had that gripe... The tuner part is tapered but even if I mount it hard down on the flat of the bullbar the part sticking above the bonnet is still about 50mm diameter. I have even contemplated making a quick-connect mount for the antenna on the bullbar and attaching the antenna as needed or as soon as we leave Vic. Obviously that's not my preferred option. Somebody I talked to on a recent trip suggested that I mount the antenna on the camper trailer. I don't think I need to go into the list of reasons why that's a lousy idea.
Not there yet