BRAKES Problem on Camper Trailer

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Brett0

BRAKES Problem on Camper Trailer

Post by Brett0 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am

Hi, I'm hoping if there are any recommendations to take my camper trailer for servicing of the brakes / coupling link in BRISBANE.

The brakes do not seem to be fully disengaging. I have a standard Hyland Coupling link with and overrun braking system and brake fluid reservoir. Luckily after only a short drive at relatively low rate of km/hr the trailer wheels were very warm (not red hot) but there was also brake fluid which had squirted out through the top of the brake reservoir cap which has a small pin hole. The brakes were released during the drive and the small spacer lever was open on the overrun brake. So I'm presuming the overrun brake was engaging when the car was braking but not fully releasing.

I understand that the coupling link should be greased but I'm not sure this will address the brakes releasing properly.

Any advice or referrals to somewhere reliable in Brisbane would be appreciated. 8-)

Many thanks in advance.

robcaz

Re: BRAKES Problem on Camper Trailer

Post by robcaz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi Matt,

When were the trailer brakes last serviced?

Trailer brakes, whatever the type, are only as good as the maintenance given to them. Regular maintenance once a year or before a big trip is usually a good idea including the wheel bearings, seals and machined spindle.

Hydraulic overrider maintenance includes checking the seals on the hydraulic cylinders, shoe adjustment and hydraulic oil level and adjusting the handbrake.

In your situation it sounds like the hydraulic cylinders are not working properly and most likely seized. From the tech tips page www.campertrailers.org/hydraulic_drum_brakes.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year