Just got back from 4 days away.

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Us & The Dogs

Just got back from 4 days away.

Post by Us & The Dogs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 pm

and we were down near the river 15km from home. We got to experience the worst overnight rainstorm I have ever been thru in a tent or even a van, and this 1980's camper of ours breezed thru it. I had thought that we both had the pillows away from the canvas, but they moved back against it during the night. No wet spots at all. We got 45mm from 10pm to 2am. The camper was warm in the chill of all the nights, although getting down to 2 overnite with out a heater was noticeable. It maybe, the new posture pedic mattress we got with it when w bought the camper 2 weeks ago, but had a great few nights sleep in it. Also being heavy dark canvas, we don't get woken in the morning light, so except for one early morning where I had to go back to the farm, we slept in to 10am. This weekend was what to us is what camping is supposed to be like. This what we wanted. Taken us ten years to get back to nature. The previous van life was just not as enjoyable.

robcaz

Re: Just got back from 4 days away.

Post by robcaz » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi,

There is nothing like decent canvas to keep you dry.

We bought a set of micro fleece sheets a couple of years ago & they are so warm. They are even warm when you first get into bed. I have also micro fleece PJ's. We have slept warm as toast in minus degrees overnight temperatures on a few occassion.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 pm

I have diesel heater, and was going to fit it, have decided against it, as the space under the original bed frame is not there anymore, as the big posture mattress takes up all the space. I could do with the space and that is where I would fit the heater, but Donna, wants to keep the mattress, I have even suggested swapping it out to the home one, but she said and I do agree, that you need a great mattress when camping. We do have a portable gas heater, sits on a 4kg bottle, did not use it this time, but will in winter camps. And yes we will have the screens open for that. You can equalize the temperature, with the windows open and have enough heat at the same time. Use to do that in the van.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Hi,

On the tech tips page, John explains how he went about installing a Webasto Airtop 2000st into his soft floor camper trailer http://www.campertrailers.org/webasto.htm

Hope this helps.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:25 pm

Their is no space mate. The queen mattress, and it is a normal queen, takes up all the space, except for 2 inches on each side to allow the framing arms to drop into, when the camper is closed. I did think of maybe fitting it underneath, but the mattress, takes up all the space of the bed floor, as you have to pull the mattress to the back, again to allow the framing to close up front. Unlike newer campomatics that have extra room, so their is no place to bring the ducting to inside. This is a $1200 mattress so wont be replacing it, plus we have our dog's sleep with us, an the smaller van's queens that you can get wont give us enough room for them. So will stick to the other method just being extremely careful in having the windows open and utilising the carbon monoxide monitor. But thanks anyhow.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Hi,

Can you make it portable, set up outside with the tubing coming into the tent area?
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:10 pm

I probably could make it portable, but you can buy both diesel and gas versions of the same, so would be better to selling it, and buy the dedicated versions. Will think about this for a while. Good idea Rob. It is a Truma unit, and as new, less then a months use, due to a mates new van being written off. So could get enough money to buy a dedicated outdoor unit.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:14 pm

Truma is a reliable brand. Next time we meet up with Ray & Dianne I will take a few photos of their portable diesel air heater that Ray made up to fit into a box for storage or better still I could contact him to see if he could put an article together for the tech tips page on the www.campertrailers.org website. At this stage I do not know when we will see them next as the last weekend get together is cancelled for the year. The first in NSW with be in February 2022.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:55 pm

No worries rob, won't be doing anything with it until at least Autumn.