Stockton Beach

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Us & The Dogs

Stockton Beach

Post by Us & The Dogs » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:06 pm

rob, I see you are based in Stockton, I have a question for you, "Is it true due to high water, storms and king tides, that Stockton beach has been washed away. I heard this bit of news some time ago, and couldn't believe it. We, when I was young used to stay at fishing cabin in the dunes years ago at a mate of my fathers. It can't all be washed away I am sure?, can you tell me if this bull?

robcaz

Re: Stockton Beach

Post by robcaz » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:24 pm

We have lost a huge mass of sand off the beach. The erosion damage can be seen mostly at the Stockton end where there are roads & houses etc. One of the causes is the 18 metre shipping channel stopping the natural northward migration of sand to replenish our beach. There has been several studies done on the erosion over the years. We have been copping huge swells with no impact zone to reduce the destructive force. You can now throw a line into the surf from the oval fence of Corroba soccer field as you come into Stockton.

A few weeks ago king tides & a large swell breached the foredunes north of Williamtown allowing the ocean to pour into the area behind.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Us & The Dogs

Post by Us & The Dogs » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:07 pm

Wow, can it be fixed?, or better yet are they going to fix it?, because who ever authorised the break wall and channel should fix the problem.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:46 pm

Fixing has been discussed since the 80's :D

There are plenty of photos on Google Stockton Beach erosion.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year